Thermostat

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by elims, Jun 29, 2012.

1. elims

elims Well-Known Member

With this insane heat, I'm curious what temperature you all have your home AC thermostat set at?

2. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

75 degrees but I have ceiling fans in every room, which really help.

Sherry

3. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

4. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Well if my HVAC was working it would be set at 70-71. But right now I am running three window units and the thermometer in the hall says 74. Can't wait to see my electric bill.

The Battery backup for my pc's turned off three times today. And the breaker for my living room kicked off about 10 minutes ago.

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Right now it's on 74. I had DH bump them up a bit because of the extreme heat. Normally 71. I hate the heat down here. :banghead:

It was so cool where we were at in VA we needed a jacket to sit on the porch at night. I miss it a lot.

6. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I hate to sweat and get all sticky. Just cannot stand it but I still like summer in the shade.

Sherry

7. PoodleMom

PoodleMom Member

Southern women don't sweat we Glissin . I'v set thermostat on 79 and have all the ceiling fans going. Wish my attic fans were working. The upstairs is about 85

8. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

73 I fell bad for people with an upstairs. Most of those houses have the upstairs unit in the attic. Trying cool the upstairs when the unit is in a 130 degree air mass just isn't sane.

9. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

80 and I have my blankie on. Brrr.

10. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

79 and the ceiling fans help. If I think I am getting hot, all I need to do is step outside onto the deck to remind me how good it feels in here!

11. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

75 degrees. Doesn't matter how hot it is outside, it stays at 75 degrees.

12. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

The central A/C is usually set around 78 or so. But I have a window unit in the living room and bedroom. I keep the living room around 74 or so and turn the bedroom one down to 68 at night. I like it cold. Once I started using the window units I was able to drop my electric bill by about $30 a month on average over the Summer. Last month it was about $110 (it came in like 3 days ago).

13. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Thermostat on the upstairs unit is set for 75. That helps the main unit maintain. The main thermostat is set for 77. With the ceiling fans, it's cool all day thru. Thermostats are one timers and kick up a few degrees at night.

14. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

75 and ceiling fans running, the house feels nice. :)

and I kept the blinds shut all day, that helped.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  15. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

73 with ceiling fans going and all the blinds closed tight. The light bill is going to be tough next month.. I could be comfy at 75 but DH says he is roasting at 75 and insists on no higher than 73.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  16. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

75 What ceiling fans we have are running and we have a couple of small regular fans going. We have foiled up the windows and keeping the curtains and doors closed. Still a little warm in the front rooms, but not to where you can't stand it. It is comfortable for the most part.

17. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

76 and also kept the blinds shut all day. That kept the house from heating up to begin with so a/c didn't have to kick on much. Also have ceiling fans on. Hoping we don't lose power..tomorrow I figure will be worse and people will be sick of the heat and bump the thermostats down which could lead to a power outage here.

18. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

80 when I'm not home & 75 when I get home.
    No ceiling fans in this house. :? Really!

19. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

you are actually better off keeping the house at a single temp all day long.

20. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Actually that has been proven wrong over and over again through studies done at many major universities.

Here are some tips to save energy - Myths