shrimp question

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by cynadon, Jun 23, 2012.

1. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

My wife just got about 20$ worth of shrimp from Lowes @50/42. I deveined about 15. At least 12 had orange goo / puss in them. We tossed the rest. I have cleaned a lot of shrimp and only seen a few like this. Some of them would ooze the goo thru the shell as soon as the stick was inserted. Did I over react or what ?

2. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Were these raw? I've never seen anything oozie or puss looking when i peel, devein or skewer shrimp. I'd take them back, i'm sure they'll refund you.

3. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

It's probably shrimp roe (eggs).

4. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

yeah.. but I've never seen shrimp roe look oozie...

:ack:

5. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

No, not roe. This was ooze, funk, puss. Call it what you will. A lot of sticky orange goo. Clean 2 - 3 and have to rinse your fingers.

6. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Thats gross and I would have taken them back... were they out of a bag or from the seafood case?

7. Wolfpack_CE

Wolfpack_CE Well-Known Member

Did the ooze have a pungent odor? They could have been old

8. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I would definitely take them back...Lowe's will refund your money. They are usually good about standing behind their products.

9. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Or shrimp fat.

10. tukasiya

tukasiya Well-Known Member

First of all, do you know if these shrimp are local (our coast) or imported (southeast asia)?

I quit buying the southeast asia shrimp (farm raised) years ago due to their practice of having their chicken coops directly over the ponds. They feed the chickens whatever (medicated feeds) and the chickens crap into the water and then the shrimp feed from that also. Sounds delicious, doesn't it?

If the shrimp are from a sealed package, the package should state the country of origin (COOL Law).

I know that this does not answer you question about the orange goo; I have seen that too in some local shrimp. As long as the shrimp smells fresh, I just rinse it off and fry it up.

You can't beat fried shrimp.

11. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Yes you can, it just becomes unrecognizable!

12. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Shrimp probably came in a sealed (5 pound) frozen package, which should state country of origin. Lowes and other stores thaw these and sell by the pound, but you still could ask for, and receive an answer to the question of origin.

13. granola acres mayor

granola acres mayor Well-Known Member

Lowes has a 200 % return policy, that means if you are un happy with your purchace they will refund your money and give you fresh product as well. they are good about standing behind this policy.

14. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

They have given me back 200% (basically gave me back my money plus gave me a fresh item) on both meat and produce.