Jalapeños! What to do with them?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by nsanemom22, Jul 11, 2012.

1. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I have two small box garden planters I got from lowes and the are putting out jalapeños to beat the band. ... Ok I have a bowl full. What should I do with them?

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Eat them!

Hot peppers are a great way to keep yourself cool in the hot weather.

3. RealityWorkouts

RealityWorkouts Well-Known Member

1-put 'em in chili
    2-use them to add kick to a salad
    3-cut off top, seed, then stuff w/ piece of mozzarella string cheese. Bake in 325 oven for 10-15 min
    4-topping for 'burgers & hot dogs
    5-make salsa!

4. nsanemom22

salsa was my first plan. but I have many left over. And its still growing! Thank you for the ideas! I can eat them straight.. but really.. tha'ts like biting a tomato and expecting tomato soup. lmao
    I have one red pepper plant and a green bell. Two banana peppers and have no idea of what to do with those.

hmm..... I've never heard of jalapeno soup. It IS an idea...

5. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

put in a jar with vinegar to make hot pepper vinegar to go on greens. Hey! A good gourmet Christmas gift!

6. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

take your choice, cut off top clean em up a lil oil and stuff em w/ tuna, or crab or cheese and grill em.

7. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

Or freeze them to use later. They freeze well..

8. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

My DH makes Jalepeno Poppers with them. I'll tell you on FB what they are REALLY called. ; )

[​IMG]

9. nsanemom22

I thought about chopping them and freezing them about three Tbsp at a time.. first I was thing of vacuumed packed.. But I'd be in the business of making some mighty small bags. Hmm... maybe ice cube trays?

10. nsanemom22

W00t! THAT looks GOOD!!

11. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Half them, take out the seeds and membranes (with gloves), stuff with cream cheese and a Little Smokey. Wrap in half a strip of good bacon. Grill low and slow til the bacon is done and the jalepenos are soft.

Works well with pulled pork instead of the Little Smokey too.

12. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I love and use all of these options. You can make jalapeno jelly too. So yummy with cream cheese and crackers.

13. JCoRes

JCoRes Well-Known Member

Another good recipe (and quick/easy)

Brown & crumble sausage (I use maple flavor JDean in this recipe).

Mix the cooked sausage with a pack of cream cheese til blended well 2gether.

Cut the penos in 1/2 and de-seed (or can leave a few if like the hot), clean out.

Take the mix and fill the hollow of the peno. Sprinkle cheese (I use goat cheese) on top.

Put stuffed penos in the oven @ 425 to bake for apx 25mins.

Enjoy eating them :hurray:

14. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

DH blanches them (whole) then puts them in jars w/ vinegar - they keep a pretty long time that way - and we don't refrigerate them.

As another poster mentioned - he likes to eat these vinegar ones warmed w/ cream cheese.

15. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

saw this on pinterest, looks yummy!
    "Hot Mamas" Bacon, Cream Cheese, Jalapeno and Crescent rolls...
    [​IMG]

16. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

I freeze them whole, quick & easy, then all year just pull out what i need as i go

17. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

yes, but don't wash them first. just start a bag and add them to it. then to thaw them, just pull one or two out, run under some hot water for a second...cleans it and starts to thaw it...then cut up what you need to go in whatever you're cooking. they're easier to cut when they're a little firm like that. DON'T FORGET, though, to wash your hands after cutting. :)

18. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I freeze some, chopped up with my serrano peppers. I also have canned a few quarts and pints with a vinegar and water mix.

19. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

20. gdogg79

gdogg79 Well-Known Member