PHONE UPGRADE?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by harleygirl, Jul 13, 2012.

1. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Seriously? Verizon wants to CHARGE $30 to ME to upgrade my phones (there are 4 phones on my plan).

We'll just see about that. :boxing::boxing:

2. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

We went to the WM family plan...on tmobile network....no BS and you cna use any Tmobile or att phone...saves a lot of coin.

3. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Yep, we just dropped Verizon due to the cost. Went to Walmart and bought phones and the $45.00 everything plan. $45.00 a month is saving us a bunch and we are still using droids with the same apps.

That is why I am selling our Verizon droids. Tired of paying an arm and a leg for service. We now have AT&T service, which should work at the kid's college too.

Sherry

4. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

which Walmart? and how much did the phones cost? Is the coverage good for out of state also? 45. is that for unlimited pics text and data? Thanks, i pay a hugh amount to to Verizon, just rediculous.

5. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Any Walmart has this in the electronics section. They have a few different phones and plans. We picked up the smaller version of a droid for $89.00 each and then bought the $45.00 per month card. You have to buy the plan each month (monthly plan). Has unlimited text, calls, pics, etc. $45.00 per phone per month versus $125.00 per phone month....I feel like a fool for paying $125.00 a month for that mess.

I swear I was paying out the rear with Verizon. And, yes, this plan works across the country.

Sherry

6. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.. Definitely will look into it, my contract ends soon with Verizon, not sure if i want to renew with that kind of money.!!!

7. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

I think you might be talking about Straight Talk. We've used it for a year with no problems. Look for the one with the red USA map on the box. It runs on the Verizon network. The one with the blue USA uses AT&T network.

8. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

We just went with the Wal-mart plan. The droid-type phones are on the Sprint network now and the blackberry-types are on the Verizon network. After dealing w/ Sprint and having no service half the time, we went with the blackberry-types. LOVE our service...not crazy about the phones, but for $45 a month unlimited everything, I can deal.

9. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

Girl, we have to stop living the same life. First we had the DirecTV issue and I literally have been dealing with this Verizon upgrade fee nonsense too these last few days! It's crazy! Now if only I can land a hubby with nice abs like you've got then I'd be all set. Let me know if he's got single friends with equally nice abs :mrgreen::cheers:

10. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

LOL! That's crazy. You're not in the process of buying a house are you, if so that would be WEIRD. :lol::lol:

DH doesn't have any *single* friends. We hang out with old married couples. :lol::lol::lol: BUT, I'll keep my eyes open for ya. :mrgreen:

11. daisy8869

daisy8869 Well-Known Member

Straight Talk does have a smart phone that runs on Verizon. It is the Samsung Proclaim and you can only buy it online for $180. I just got mine two weeks ago and am very happy with it. Facebook, YouTube, Google, and GPS work very well. It only works on the $45 unlimited plan but you can't beat that deal!

12. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Not the straight talk plan. Walmart has a family mobile plan, 45 bucks for the first line, 25 for each additional line. There is a 25 buck startup cost to get the sim card. You can use most any AT&T or Tmobile GSM phone.. C6 has a Blackberry, I have a HTC phone. We did not buy the phones at WM, but got ours off Ebay. The plan uses the Tmobile network, and for the first time evah!, we don;t drop calls even though we're under LOS off Josephine. Excellent customer service, and great plan. You can even pay extra for downloading, on the Tmobile Edge network. We've been with them since they first started the family plan, and haven;t had any issues with coverage, dropped calls, etc.

We likey!

13. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Hey, who you calling old:lol:

14. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

If the shoe fits......LOL

15. blumedenley

blumedenley Well-Known Member

I have to say the customer service for family mobile is not good. I tried to cancel my phone in March and then I got a bill today. When I called to cancel they charged my card while I was on the phone and then said oh your bill is up to date. My bank says it cleared while I was on the phone. I did not tell them I wanted to pay the bill, I said I wanted to cancel. Then they gave me an e-mail address not a phone number to see if I could get a refund. I will never get family mobile. I will stick with Verizon!

16. Pwoods

Pwoods Well-Known Member

Try Republic Wireless - $19 unlimited everything

Preface: This is not an advertisement and I have nothing to do with the company (other than being a customer). I hate big telecom companies and I believe in the little guy trying to up-end the 'system'.

Republic Wireless is a start-up phone company that charges $19 a month (per smart phone phone) for unlimited everything - no restrictions, no contracts. They are based in Cary and I saw some articles in the N&O about a year ago. I was a beta wave customer and they have since opened it up to the general public. Since then they have been covered by Forbes, Cnet, Clark Howard, etc. and given favorable reviews. I have been a customer for about 6 months now and I am super happy. There are some limitations though and you'll need to research to make sure it is a good fit for you. http://www.republicwireless.com/

Check out their facebook page too.

Some of the catches:

-Their model is based off of wifi use. They anticpate most people could use wifi 70% of the time so why pay for big data plans when you already have access to wifi in your home, work, coffee shop, etc.
    -When there is no access to wifi, it rolls over to the Sprint network. No roaming fees whatsoever.
    -There is no 'hand-off' from wifi to cellular (Sprint) so it drops calls when you leave wifi range (they are working on this).
    -You have to buy their phone and it will only work on their service.
    -Only one phone available for now, but expanding to more this year.
    -No stores and all customer service is user forum based and or support ticket based.

I have their Motorola Defy XT and despite it not being a top of the line phone I have been extremely pleased. If you Verizon, or ATT plan is $100 or more than you can save some big money here.

I can refer a friend and also save you an additional $19 - yes, I guess there is something in it for me :)

17. tukasiya

tukasiya Well-Known Member

What effective technical support does WalMart provide for their smartphones? That would be one of my concerns about purchasing from them.

My "dumbphone" works just fine for my situation at about $10.00/month. $20.00 for the phone (throwaway if it quits) and 1000 minutes for $100.00, good for a year.

18. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I had heard of them on Clark Howard a couple of months after I read about them in the N&O. I like the idea that they are in NC. If it has made it's way to 4042.com then I'll have to check this out now.

19. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

I'm planning on changing over to Page Plus (pre-paid plan - www.pagepluscellular.com) once my Verizon contract is up at the end of the month. They operate on the Verizon network. I figure we'll be saving around $55-60/month for two lines.

20. siameselover

siameselover Well-Known Member

you can also pay 99 for the phone and bill is 29. i dont have 250 upfront for a phone so i am going to try this when twc raises my service(getting rid of them). i want to keep my number. i am waiting to see what phones they offer. i want a good size phone that i can hold without my cts flaring up.how long is the motorola phone?