Anyone know who to call....

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by sirputz, Jul 19, 2012.

1. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

To get the trees near the street light trimmed? I tried Progress energy, but they said they don't trim trees for illumination, only threats to power lines or if a limb would fall on the lamp.

Johnston County Public works maybe? It's county property, so, perhaps?

2. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

The property owner. They are not county property therefore not county maintained. Its all on the property owner.

Well i should ask, since you say it is County property...where is it?

3. carolgilx

carolgilx Well-Known Member

Go to Progress Energy website...sign on to your account and on right side is report street light. Need the pole # and in comments type limbs blocking light. Just did this 3 weeks ago and Progress Energy came out a couple days later and cut the branches. Reported another one in my subdivision on Monday this week that was staying on day & night. They've already been out & fixed that one too.

4. sirputz

Funny, I did just that and they said they don't cut limbs for illumination. Said it was up to me, but I'd be held liable if I damaged the thing. Were your streetlights wired underground? or overhead cables? that could be the big difference. Mine are underground.

I can try again if the pole you called about has underground wires, perhaps i'll get someone different to call me back. It sucks. Especially with all these breakins I'd like to be able to see the street.

5. sirputz

I thought that the county has a right of way on all properties up to 5 feet. Which would include the street lights

6. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

No. The county does not have any right of ways on any properties unless it involves County utilities. As an example, there are subdivisions around the county where there is a water line that runs across the subdivision some times and there is a waterline easement for those but in general the county owns nothing on private property. Even with an easement, the county does not own that property, it only gives them right right and access to go in and work on that line should the need arise.

What i think you are talking about is the fact that peoples property, in a subdivision, does not extend all the way out to the pavement (as many think it does). Your property, if you are on septic and have a ditch in your hard, only extends to a point in the ditch (on average) and not to the pavement. You maintain to the pavement but you dont own it.

As a general rule, if you stand in the middle of the pavement in front of your house and walk towards your house 25 feet, thats approx. where your property starts. Most, if not all, power poles fall within the 50' right-of-way that is set aside for the road system. Now, in almost all cases, NCDOT maintains the road system in that right-of-way but you still cut the grass along your ditch and out to the pavement. The power poles are, for all intents and purposes, on your property and you maintain around them. Just like you trim around the green power boxes, telephone pedestals and so on. Many times the utilities that serve your lot technically dont fall on your lot, but they are yours and you maintain your yard around them.

So, if you have a tree or whatnot that is growing around a power pole, it would generally be your "problem" to deal with, as it were, as long as that pole and tree are "on your property".

Hope that makes sense.

7. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Ghostbusters

[​IMG]

Sorry couldn't resist with the thread title.

8. sirputz

I agree..you couldn't resist thanks for the laugh craig, I set myself up for that one