Mass shooting at 'Dark Knight Rises'

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Sherry A., Jul 20, 2012.

1. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

http://www.wtvm.com/story/19072005/mass-shooting-at-dark-knight-rises

(AP) - Police say 14 people are dead and 50 injured following a shooting at a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado.

Police say the gunman opened fire shortly after midnight local time in a theater during a showing of the latest Batman movie "The Dark Knight Rises."

Witnesses tell police that before the gunman started shooting, he released some sort of canister, and then there was a hissing sound and some gas emerged.

Officials say police ambulances and emergency crews swarmed on the scene after frantic calls started flooding the 911 switchboard.

Police found the gunman near a car behind the theater and took him into custody. Aurora Police Chief Dan Oates says a "gas mask, rifle, handgun at least one additional weapon" were found inside the theater.

Oats says the man taken into custody also mentioned "possible explosives in his residence," so officials also are dealing with that potential threat.

2. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

This has become a sick world we live in. Not sure I'd want a second ride here if given the chance.

3. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Terrible

4. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

Prayers for ALL affected..............:cry:

5. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

As sad as this is, at least they got the guy before he could "go out in a blaze of glory" or commit "suicide by police".

Maybe, just maybe, we can find out why.

6. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

Maybe he should have just taken himself out and saved the taxpayers money of a trial and a life sentence. He's crazy, that's why he did it...

7. elims

elims Well-Known Member

What made him crazy?

8. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

If we can figure out why, maybe we can take another step toward stopping someone else from doing it again.

9. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Maybe he will meet the same fate as Jeffery Dahmer. Jeffery was suppose to spend the rest of his days in solitary confinement. But somehow he got put in general population and his cell mate took he out of the DNA pool. Cell mate saved the tax payers millions of dollars.

Let's find out the how, why, when, and where about this guy and see if we can figure out what set him off. And when he is sentenced give him Jeffery Dahmer's old cell mate.

10. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Not defending what this guy did, but why in the world would you have a 4 month old at a midnight showing?

11. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

Maybe someone could not afford both a babysitter and the movie, the price of those things these days are quite high :neutral:

12. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Then stay at home. I don't want a crying baby around me, what with the high cost of movies these days!!!

13. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

When it comes down to who's to blame for the high school murders in Littleton, Colorado, throw a rock and you'll hit someone who's guilty. We're the people who sit back and tolerate children owning guns, and we're the ones who tune in and watch the up-to-the-minute details of what they do with them. I think it's terrible when anyone dies, especially if it is someone you know and love. But what is more offensive is that when these tragedies happen, most people don't really care any more than they would about the season finale of Friends or The Real World. I was dumbfounded as I watched the media snake right in, not missing a teardrop, interviewing the parents of dead children, televising the funerals. Then came the witch hunt.

Man's greatest fear is chaos. It was unthinkable that these kids did not have a simple black-and-white reason for their actions. And so a scapegoat was needed. I remember hearing the initial reports from Littleton, that Harris and Klebold were wearing makeup and were dressed like Marilyn Manson, whom they obviously must worship, since they were dressed in black. Of course, speculation snowballed into making me the poster boy for everything that is bad in the world. These two idiots weren't wearing makeup, and they weren't dressed like me or like goths. Since Middle America has not heard of the music they did listen to (KMFDM and Rammstein, among others), the media picked something they thought was similar.

Marilyn Manson

14. Sherry A.

The movie is rated PG13. Even if the parents decided to take the 4 month old baby (I totally disagree with them taking the baby) to the movie the employees should not have allowed it to happen. Same thing with other kids who were in attendance.

Bad situation all around except for maybe finding out how the mind of a mass murderer works.

Sherry

15. reeteach2

reeteach2 Well-Known Member

It may not be advisable for both the children and others at the movie, but children are allowed into PG-13 movies. They are even allowed into R rated movies with their parents. They are not allowed into NC-17 movies. An employee couldn't stop them from bringing a baby based on the rating. They might be able to stop them based on theater rules or something like that, but not ratings.

16. Sherry A.

There are no laws regarding the ratings but every theater we have gone to abides by the ratings. When I took my daughter to see Fahrenheit 911 I was told she was not of age and could not see it even with me being in attendance. As far as I have seen most theaters abide by the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) rulings. I personally don't believe in censorship but as a parent I have never wanted to do the research on a movie to decide whether my child should go or not. Bringing a baby to the theater is just a no-no to me.

Sherry

P.S. While we may not agree on the ratings the most important part of this is that a maniac killed and wounded people and that is horrible and sad.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  17. tukasiya

tukasiya Well-Known Member

.......and the inevitable clamor from the anti-gun crowd has already started. You know, the "guns kill people" group. We have always had to put up with the nut cases of society and we always will. Is this any different than John Wayne Gacy killing 33 young men? He just did it over several years and without a gun. Those young men are no less dead than the people in Colorado. The difference is that James Holmes did this more quickly and, as with Gacy, no one saw it coming.

18. Sherry A.

I just heard a journalist say the words I have been looking for about the shooter....."Pure Evil".

Sherry

19. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

wow the cheesebags on tv are disgusting

20. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

The fact the the theatre person lied to you (or did not know the actual meaning of the codes) does not mean that you could not have taken your daughter to see "Farenheit 911".

MPAA Ratings:
    G — General Audiences. All Ages Admitted
    PG — Parental Guidance Suggested. Some Material May Not Be Suitable For Children.
    PG-13 — Parents Strongly Cautioned. Some Material May Be Inappropriate For Children Under 13.
    R — Restricted. Children Under 17 Require Accompanying Parent or Adult Guardian.
    NC-17 — No One 17 and Under Admitted.

The only "censorship" that would prevent your daughter from attending a movie with you would be NC-17. "Farenheit 911" is rated R and, as seen in the "official" ratings above, allows for a child under 17 to attend with a parent or adult guardian.

But, speaking of censorship, which you say you're personally against. What if I decided to put up a billboard across from your house that showed a graphic advertisement for "Debbie Does Dallas" (specifically a scene of the "money shot")? Would you stand next to me against the ubiquitous protesters that would be demanding I take it down?