Best Sliced Ham?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Allioop, Jul 23, 2012.

1. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Seriously?? You can try before you buy?? That is SO good to know!! I've been afraid to buy anything I was unfamiliar with from their deli meat section because I wasn't sure if I'd like it and didn't want to waste the money ... thanks for mentioning this!!

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Ha ha! I never have liked it, my grandparents cured their own ham's for years and it's just so salty, even after soaking. You can have my portion!

3. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

who knew, right??? I just recently learned myself. I don't know if it's all places. But the Lowes Foods by me (42&50) does. Love it! They let you try all the deli salads too (like the mac & cheese, slaw, potato salad, etc).

4. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Lowes Foods in Clayton is the same, any deli counter I have ever been to will let you try a sample of their deli meats or salads. They don't offer, you have to ask. I have to say that I have not ever asked at Walmart though. I buy most of our deli meats and cheeses at Lowes Foods or BJ's. BJ's brands are good, both the Wellesley Farms and Dietz & Watson.

Not on the subject of ham, but Wellesley Farms has the best Italian Roast Beef, as good as any Boars Head roast beef and less expensive! If you're in BJ's, ask to try it. (just because everything at BJ's seems to be in bulk, deli meat isn't... you can buy as little as you want.. girl infront of me the other day got 1/4 lbs of this, that and the other).

5. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

I love that stuff, but it has to be shaved very thin... on a biscuit with a tab of butter. YUMMMMM!

6. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

yep, definitely have to ask to taste. And thanks for the tip on the roast beef. I don't eat it, but the boys love it.

7. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

Lowe's is good about that! I go to the one at Hwy 50/42. I usually deal with the nicest people at that deli. They let me sample a couple of different hams one time. They offer my kids samples too. :lol:

8. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

That is the Lowes Food I shop at too and they are very nice about letting you sample the meats and cheeses b-4 you make a selection.

9. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

As far as I've known, all deli departments will allow you to sample.

Now that I know some do not (based on my reading of previous posts), I'll go as far as say if they won't let me sample, I won't buy.

10. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

LOVE the AMish Market for all my deli meats, esp. pepperoni and the honey smoked turkey.

11. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Durn, keep forgetting about that place!!

12. Ron Still

Ron Still Well-Known Member

country style smoked hams from award winning Smithfield North Carolina hams

They cleaned up at the state fair so many times, they quit entering for a while

I think they are on 301 across from a car dealership. It has been a while since I went down. I've mail ordered several times. Good country smoked taste with salty appeal. They are good, not cheap. Great for flavoring vegetables.

13. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

Best ham, Hands down is

ISALY's (pronounced Eyes Lees) ham, they used to carry it at 70 Walmart for a while, but I haven't seen it in a few months. It's a GREAT tasting ham, cold, fried, whatever. If you're ever in Pittsburgh area (where it's originally from) get some at your local Giant Eagle.

14. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Personally I have a strict policy against buying foodstuffs from a place where someone feels obligated to tell me how to pronounce the name of it.

Either spell it phonetically, or get used to people pronouncing it wrong.

15. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

You know people have different backgrounds and nationalities here in the States...right? Names aren't always gonna be Smith or Davis.

16. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

I understand that. However, if it's going to be a big deal on how they want their name pronounced, I'll take the easy route and go to a place where either it's easily pronounced or they don't care. I wouldn't want to offend them by accidentally pronouncing their name incorrectly.

17. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

I hear you...I guess I don't see the part where someone will "obligate" you to pronounce something the right way. The only thing they really care about is your money.

18. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

If they didn't "obligate", then sirputz wouldn't have felt the need to point it out.

At least that's what I gathered by the fact the he did point out how it was to be pronounced.

19. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Splitting hairs....I guess I don't see it as a big deal if someone offers to mention how a unique name is pronounced. It's not like putz suggested it would anger the family if you mispronounced it...in which case I would agree with you and tell them to get over it.

20. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

I only phonetically spelled it out so IF you saw it and wanted to try it you could pronounce it and ask for it by name and not call it is-lays. It is a family name just like Hershey, smithfields, or riccobene. Figured knowledge was power.