Things that are annoying

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ServerSnapper, Jul 30, 2012.

1. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

I was sitting at a table with my lovely wife last at a very popular restaurant in Fayetteville called 316. There was a lady behind us who was humming when she was eating. I mean like a low rumble hum. Has anyone else experienced this in public?

2. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

Yes, but the person in the classroom had Tourette's syndrome.

3. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

It's the 'little boy lunch hum' and is a common occurrence when really enjoying food. It may have accompanying symptoms such as nodding one's head in agreement of how delicious the food is, the rhythmic swinging of one's feet (if elevated on a bar stool) and the potential to make an absolute mess of one's meal in the process.

4. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Never heard of that in my entire life. Never been a witness to it either.

The thing that annoys the mess out of me is when people with unruly children sit near me in a restaurant. I'm talking about the kind of children who hang over the back of a booth and almost end up falling onto our side. And those that RUN up and down the aisles in restaurants.

5. ServerSnapper

and the parents think their little angels are doing no wrong?? Bas-My Friend!!

6. irishluck

irishluck Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I do this all the time.. always have.. whenever I'm really enjoying my meal. I have no idea I'm doing it until someone asks me to stop. lol

7. Savealot

Savealot Well-Known Member

Blowing(honking) your nose at the table, Loud kids. Parents that are pushing an infant around in a stroller thing talking to the infant in public and keep on talking to them thru out the store.

8. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

:iagree: I can't remember the last time I've eaten a meal out that wasn't ruined by children. I was thinking of carrying around a scary mask or some pantyhose to pull over my head for the ones that pop up in the booths.

9. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

I think it's even more rude than kids when a bunch of college age people are there being loud and obnoxious. Or when you have a group of people and you have that ONE person in the group that laughs constantly and so LOUDLY the whole restaraunt hears them. I have to say I've ran into that more than the kid thing. :boxing:

10. ServerSnapper

I took my two younger kids to a place like Chuck E Cheese a month ago. A group of Middle School kids casually walked by my two and started towering over them and started pushing buttons on the ball roll game. I took swift and immediate justice by slamming one of the punks on the roller board piece of the game. I proceeded to ask...Does it feel good to you when you get bullied? He said "No Sir". He apologized to my boys with extreme prejudice. I had ten security guards come and surround me. They asked what happened. My kids spoke up for me and said "My daddy taught these punks a lesson on bullying". They walked away.

11. Savealot

Ok I'm not an English major or anything so I could be wrong about this.

When people say " I'm so excited FOR the trip" Why are you excited for the trip? IS the trip a person?

I think it should be " I'm so excited about the trip, wedding, dinner etc" you can be excited for someone going on a trip.

I know this is stupid but it makes me itch!

12. ServerSnapper

Sounds like you care too much for semantics. Import or NC local?

13. Savealot

I'm a local. I mostly hear it on some stupid show I watch! Have heard it in person though. I know it's stupid. :)

14. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Not that it really annoys me, but I find it strange when people say "what car are we going on?' You ride in a car, not on it! :lol:

15. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

And those that say they are standing "on line" at the post office instead of "in line". Pretentious much? :lol:

16. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

You are.

The word "for" has many definitions. (Sometimes it seems that the shorter the word, the more defintiions it has. Look up the word "run" sometimes :)).

In the case of the sentence, "I'm so excited for the trip!", the word "for" would be defined as "because of". So, the speaker is actually saying, "I'm so excited because of the trip!"

17. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Roadside signs or classified ads that use "sell" instead of "sale"

example: "Hay for sell", sell is not the proper tense of the word in that context, it should be sale! You can sell your hay, if you have hay for sale. You wouldn't sale your hay.

and ads that say

"lookin a new mower", are these people so lazy they can't say or write a proper sentence. Lookin' for a new mower, lookin to get a new mower.... I feel like it leaves a question to someone not familiar with the slang, your lookin' to do what to a new mower, you could be lookin' to have sex with that new mower for all I know!

:?

18. Savealot

Well Clif, I doubt the people that are saying it know the true meaning of the word For. Thanks for correcting me I will never forget it. You have a great day!

19. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

I had an English teacher in high school who pointed oput that proper sentence structure was only applicable to books and newspapers. In standard conversation the only thing that matters is getting the correct information to the listener.

It doesn't matter if you say, "I am going to the store." or you say, "I'm heading off down to the store." As long as the listener understands you, that's all that matters.

20. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I agree. If you want to see the state of our public education, browse online classified ads. How about "spaded" for "spay" on dogs. All the variations of "chihuahua", etc. It's scary. :jester: