Please help, cell phone plans

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Savealot, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Savealot

Savealot Well-Known Member

Hello,

We are trying to lower our cell phone plans and have looked at so many plans I am totally confused!

We are now with Sprint and are not satisfied with the coverage at home - Archer lodge area. We even have a booster at our house that Sprint gave us and it doesn't help. It just gets on my nerves that I can't talk on my cell phone at home.

We pay about $229 a month - 2 htc phones, 2 dumb phones for the kids. We have free long distance, unlimited text and data. I don't want a plan that I have to worry about have I gone over my minutes, texts etc. I like having the internet on my phone so I don't want to give that up.

I might have the best option for us right now but it's just alot to pay per month and spotty coverage at home.

I have looked at the walmart plans online and it says unlimited but the fine print says its not. I don't understand it.

Anyone have any ideas for me? Thanks in advance for the help!

2. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

I am going to check out WalMart. I was told that one plan is ATT but they also have one with Verizon as carrier.
    I have a cricket now and it SUCKS!!!
    I had Verizon before, and was pleased with everything but the price. If they have a plan thru Walmart, I will probably sign up and ditch Cricket.

3. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

4. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

StraightTalk @ WalMart - has a $45 unlimited plan
    In the past the boxes with the red map of the US use the Verizon network ... blue US map AT&T network... I'm not sure if that is still the case. The Verizon network has better coverage ...IMHO.

5. Tardevil

Tardevil Well-Known Member

Living in the Cleveland area, the only way we had Sprint service at our home was to stand at the top of our driveway. We eventually switched to Verizon which we love. The bill is more, BUT we have service. For us, it's a wash.

6. mom23

mom23 Active Member

We have AT&T. Six lines total. 3 iPhones, 1 ipad, and two basic phones. We pay $235/ month. I don't know how many minutes we have b/c we NEVER use them all. Mobile to mobile calls are free and you can rollover unused minutes. The iPhones have 2 gb data plans and we have unlimited texting. Can't remember what the iPad plan is. We love AT&T. Great customer service. We've had them for 14 years. If you need a sales rep, let me know. There is a girl @ the white oak store that is awesome.

7. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

If your microcell doesn't work. It's your fault. Get better internet covereage and it will work. I have one in Myrtle and it works great. It recommends 3 meg download and 1 meg upload minimum. So make sure you have either. I have 0 to 1 bar but now I have 5 bar inside and 10 foot around my home. But I drop to 4 bars if I mow the lawn. So they work. Just don't use cheap DSL.

8. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Family Plan from Walmart, through Tmobile. Less expensive than any other plans, great coverage (We previously had the top of the driveway Sprint connection, and also got the airrave and service was still unacceptable.

First line is 45 per month for unltd text/talk. 3g access is optional, and you can load up for a boatload of download MB for 25 bucks per month. Additional lines are 25 bucks.

So far, it's been exceptional service over the last 6 months.

9. Savealot

I'm sorry Serversnapper I don't understand what you are talking about. We have our internet thru Centurylink. How is it my fault? We have to reset our Airave(sp?) all the time.

10. ServerSnapper

That's the problem. Century Link is DSL. If the slightest bit of rain penetrates the line the signal to noise ratio is over powering. Look at your modem next time not the airave. It comes across phone lines and you are at the mercy of the closest CO (Central Office. Central Office is where the DSlam is located. That is the layer 3 switch that Century link provides thousands of people the same or so called same bandwidth). To improve your experience with the airave...Switch to a cable Internet provider. It is available in Archers Lodge. I promise you your service will improve drastically. Right now I think TWC has a special on RoadRunner. DSL is for extreme remote places and it hates many connections. But chances are with Riverwood and the other big developments your signal is very low.

DISCLAIMER:

SS does not work for Time Warner nor Century Link. I just know my chit. I have been a software systems engineer for over 20 years and I have implemented and designed DSL infrastructure for Sprint, Century Link, and Verizon. They use cheap Cisco DSLams vs. Copper Mountain and more reputable switches. They also sell your information to the highest bidder. In case you are getting spammed to death on your email. Embarq is the same way.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  11. Savealot

OK I'm beginning to understand. But, we do not want TWC for our tv. We have dish network and like it. Sorry I'm kinda dumb when it comes to stuff like this. Thanks for explaining it. :)

12. ServerSnapper

Not a problem. You can have dish with RR from TWC.

13. Savealot

I will check it out. Thanks!

14. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

:iagree:

15. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

This is why Americans are losing their homes and people can't pay their student loans. Remember when your phone bill was $75 for two cell phones? Or for that matter remember when it cost about $25 to have that sucker stuck to your kitchen wall?

I have an old regional carrier plan (grandfathered) for two "dumb" phones. They make phone calls and that is about all they do. This costs me $56 a month. I am able to do a lot with that extra $175 a month.

It is your money and you can do what you want with it, but if you're trying to lower your bill you're obviously trying to save money. One possible, albeit painful, option is to ask yourself what you can do without.

Consumerism. Wow.

16. Savealot

I'm definitely not about to loose my house or anything. I just think $229 (4 phones) is too high not to even be able to talk at home. I still want my unlimited everything etc. just wondering if there was something cheaper or better out there for the same service or better. I'm always looking for a deal. Thank you.

17. 1_more_PitBull

1_more_PitBull Well-Known Member

I signed up with just RR and got it for $24.99 for 6 months then locked into $29.99 for a year.

18. 1_more_PitBull

1_more_PitBull Well-Known Member

Read the reviews online.. Most say they really run off Sprint towers. IDK. I wanted to try it but the only company that picks up at our house at the River is Verizon so I just stick with them. I pay $170 for 2 smartphones a month.