Hummingbirds are back!!!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Kent, Mar 19, 2011.

1. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

2. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

kdc... good pics, too!

No bee issues with my feeders.

3. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

If you figure it out let me know. We have wasps that actually chase the little hummers. I've been knocking them down and killing them when I see them. Just waiting for one to get me!

4. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

5. Sherry A.

I know, it is horrible.

Sherry

6. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Interesting - we had all kinds of ants, wasps, you name it, with everything we had until this one. We've had this one a couple of years now, and no bugs around it since.

7. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

8. 26.2

26.2 Well-Known Member

I put my feeders out on Easter and the hummingbirds were on the next day.

9. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Just saw our first one just a sec ago. A male.

Welcome back!!

10. peaches

Has anyone else noticed that they have gone away? Is it because it's been chilly? We had 4 of the 6 back and now none.

11. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I saw some last weekend when it was MUCH warmer but not since then.

12. Sherry A.

Me too. I get so excited when I see them. They put a smile on my face.

Sherry

13. 26.2

26.2 Well-Known Member

Still had them Sunday morning and it was quite cool. They're still around, you'll just see more activity as temps increase.

14. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

I had a hummingbird today trying to get to the feeder in the downpour!!! It had to sit in the close tree and wait, lol........

15. peaches

Hopefully they will be back today! It's so wonderful to finally see the SUN!

16. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

What?? Where are you? Looks like the end of days where I am!!

17. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

My little humming buddies are still with me!

btw, in addition to the humming birds, if you want to attract some finches, titmouse, cardinals, nuthatches, and chick-a-dees, put out a feeding station with some safflower seeds! They LOVE THEM!!

18. peaches

Near intersection of Fairground and Benson-Hardee Rd. About 12 miles or so from 40/42. It ended up being really nice this evening. Hope it was for you, too.

Still no little hummers. :( We were away for a week but I made sure the food was fresh right before we left. I hope nothing happened to them.

19. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Have been having so much fun with the hummers!! Love listening to their soft little chirp! I have one of the feeders on my back deck, and they'll fly up and feed when I'm standing right there next to it just a foot or two away.

How long will they stick around, does anyone know? Until the weather turns chilly? This is my first season to have feeders so I wasn't sure how long I should plan on keeping them out.

Thanks!

Carol

20. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

http://www.carolinabirdclub.org/misc/hummingbirds/winterhummingbirds.html

The early view that hummingbird feeders left hanging in the fall deter Ruby-throateds from migrating is false. These tiny marvels begin to head south as early as late July due to hormonal changes when the days begin to shorten. Neither food supply nor the weather has any effect on their behavior. Therefore feeders left up can only help late migrants or supplement the diet of winter visitors. Although hummingbirds in general eat mainly small insects, nectar is a significant component of their diet year round.

I always keep my feeders up way past the last time I notice my little buddies feeding.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013