School books

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Went to JCC to pick up my books and it cost $365.09 for just two books. One for sociology and the other for health

2. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I'd rent them.

Sherry

3. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

I've got you beat $827 for four books. Two of them seem to be custom books for JCC so I don't know if I can get them somewhere else. The other two need a software access code and I can't figure out if the ones selling other places (amazon, etc ) come with the code. I feel like the JCC bookstore is my only option.

I am a little shell shocked with both my and my husband taking classes--over 1200 for tuition and 800 for books. It is a shame those Batchelor Degrees we both have from NCSU don't seem to be helping us!

4. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

I have seen several college textbooks for sale on Craigslist. When our time comes for that next year, I will be checking there first. Also, are there any used book stores around like the big one on Fayetteville? (Can't think of the name of it right now...I'm not a reader, myself!)

5. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Here's what I don't understand...

At JCC, it was not unusual for my books to cost as much or more than my tuition.

Now that I've transferred to ECU, I ordered 5 books for 3 classes, and with shipping, it was less than $200.

6. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

http://www.half.ebay.com/

Great resource, just make sure you are getting the exact edition you need and that it comes with the right study guides, workbooks, CDs, etc. Use the ISBN to look it up.

I think a lot of the sticker shock is because tuition is so cheap at a community college so it looks out of whack when you see the book prices. That being said text book cost is out of control and much of that is due to planned obsolescence on the part of the manufacturer. Sure content changes, but some subjects more than others. There have even been congressional investigations into price fixing in the text book world if I am not mistaken.

7. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

Years ago, after my oldest daughters first semester in college we learned that lesson. Renting is 1/4 of the cost, we rent from B&N because they are the best and most reliable about getting your books to you very quickly, at least this has been our experience with them and not as great an experience with other sites. At the end of the rental if you want to buy the book they offer you a price at what's consider used book price, very reasonable.

8. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I agree with renting! DD attends UNCG and over the yrs we've rented all we could from Chegg, then last yr UNCG started offering their own rental program, it has saved us lots of $$$$! :lol:

9. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

JCC started this "custom book packages" most likely because they were losing money to programs like Chegg, B&Ns and other sites that provide a price break to consumers. There is absolutely no reason for "custom book packages," Our oldest daughter went to Mt. Olive College and at one time the tuition price factored into the cost of books when you had entered your major, but they received a lot of complaints stating how unfair it was to force a price on the students as consumers who could go to other sources and get a break on the cost of books. They listened and changed this practice. They realized how unfair it was and stated that they wanted to do what was in the best interest of their students. Students at JCC should not be forced into purchasing books that they can receive elsewhere at a lower cost to them. Students, you need to join together and stand up for unfair practices at this school. :boxing:

10. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

:iagree:

Yea my books are JCC customized. Such a darn rip off. It's all about the $.

11. Ron Still

Ron Still Well-Known Member

Cleveland Library is clearing textbooks at $1 each.

Some people were very happy to buy our nursing, computer, math, and business textbooks at $1 each. We have some left. You find them, you can buy them. No limit.

12. Ron Still

Ron Still Well-Known Member

$1 textbooks at Cleveland Library

We stopped lending them and put them on clearance.