Racial Balance in the classroom

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Bubba, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Bubba

Bubba Well-Known Member

Just wondering if Johnston County/NC has a policy of racial balance in the classroom.

2. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Racial balance means racial quota which is unconstitutional.

3. Bubba

Bubba Well-Known Member

diversity

Ok, let me rephrase the racial balance issue, Do Johnston County/NC schools have a diversity policy in the classrooms.

4. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Not that I'm aware of, why do you ask?

5. Jalen

Jalen Well-Known Member

A rose by any other name is still a rose.

Funny to think our officials would consider a race based program to eliminate racism.

6. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

That's why some schools have uniforms. To balance the poor from the those who aren't. Where I live they bus kids all over the county for EQUALITY in the classroom. But they also put magnet schools and charter schools in poor areas to attract white students.

7. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

charter schools are not part of any county system, but other than that you're absolutely right about wake county even if that isn't where you live.

8. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

You do know that Wake County has stopped "income-diversity" busing, right?

9. oggsmash

oggsmash Well-Known Member

You mean a balance of free and reduced lunch kids? Unconstitutional to balance a school by race. JC does not.

10. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

I find it amazing about the kids who do get free or reduced lunch ride to and from work in nice cars, some with 24 inch rims, some say Cadillac, Lincoln, BMW, Mercedes....But they can't pay 2 bucks for a meal. Am I judgemental? Hell YES!!

11. oggsmash

oggsmash Well-Known Member

I remember in school when the Air Jordans first came out. ALOT of kids wearing them had free and reduced lunch. It struck me odd even way back then. I do remember most of them riding the bus however, so I have no idea what their parents drove.

12. siameselover

siameselover Well-Known Member

You could afford the air jordans also if you didnt have to pay for food. MOST people who get the free lunches also get food stamps

13. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Welcome to the Democratic Party.

14. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

If a racial balance policy means the class has 6 white kids, 4 African Americans and 23 Hispanics then yes, Johnston County has a racial balance policy.

15. JCoRes

JCoRes Well-Known Member

Really ??

Does it much matter nowadays ? Just as long as everyone is content/getting along with each other & not bringing loaded weapons to school to solve their life issues amongst those who have nothing to do with their issues then all should be considered well.

Got buses out there too - why if concern about class then why not buses ? At least for those who still ride 'em nowadays & have to put up with black, mexican and white people junky attitudes who (some) think (or would like to think) they own the world .....

Bullying comes in all shapes,sizes & colors so who much cares about diversity anymore. One should be comfortable in their own skin regardless if they are the minority in a situation.

16. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

A few years back my huband lost his job. We have a child with medical conditions so wehad to have insurance and COBRA was not an affordable option. I applied for the NC Health Choice--in my opinion our situation is what it is there for. Since our income was so low (he is the sole earner) we were also automatically given food stamps--I guess DSS tries to work together. We would have been fine with out food stamps but since we were eligible we took them. Here is the kicker--since we were getting food stamps I got a letter from the county saying that my kids automatically received free breakfast and lunch. I thought this was so strange. I felt like I should have gotten a letter that said--we know you have food stamps so use that food to pack you own dang lunch for your kids!!

This was short term and my husband found a job (BTW--not the best job, notthe pay we were used to, not the best hours but he went to work anyway instead of staying on unemployment for 2 years!!!) so I don't know if it would have contunued or not.

We did still drive a pretty nice car--but it was paid for and we felt the situation was temporary and did not want to give it up--however we would have if the situation had continued.

17. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

sure do wish closed minds came with closed mouths....

:rolleyes:

18. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

It really is not a matter of moving the kids around, you can move them to BFE they still have to go HOME to their PARENTS!! That is where it should start and where they should get the encouragement and support they need!!

19. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

It's not strange at all. If you met the income requirements for Health Choice, then you met the requirements for Food Stamps and for Free/Reduced Lunch.

As for what somebody drives, you can drive whatever/live/own whatever/wherever (except for a boat, etc - that is figured as an asset) - it is your income that is used to qualify you. You don't know if somebody's junk is paid for and they fell on hard times, or if they are still paying and trying to salvage their credit and/or equity in their home.

As for what kids wear - I am sure their parents are very grateful for Silent Partner Programs, Secret Santa, and/or generous friends/relatives.

Emma - the last two paragraphs here were not directed at you.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  20. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

All Foster, Migrant, and Runaway kids get free lunch.