Alternatives to traditional public high school

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by cathy0517, Aug 28, 2012.

1. cathy0517

cathy0517 Well-Known Member

I dont know if what I am looking for even exists. I have a 15 yr old daughter with aspergers syndrome, she is extremely intelligent takes all honors classes and excells. The problem is that the social situation of traditional school is extremely overwhelming to her. Please no suggestions on how to socialize her, this is an ongoing process and we are well aware that she will need to develop this skill but we are working on it. In the meantime here is a highly motivated student that is willing to work hard and enjoys learning. Because she is very quiet and a loner she is a target for all the "mean" kids and it is taking a toll on her. So back to the original question, does anyone know of a program that might work for her?

2. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

I have an aquaintance that I spoke with the other night who said his 16 year old daughter is taking internet courses. Not sure how this differs from home schooling, maybe after a certain age????

3. Suzie Q

Suzie Q Well-Known Member

http://www.k12.com/

I have a friend who works for them and says the programs are great if you want to go this route.

4. Lolly42

Lolly42 Well-Known Member

Have you looked into Early/Middle College?

5. trev47

trev47 Well-Known Member

I agree with the early college suggestion. Small school setting, but I don't know if it's too late to enroll.

6. Tardevil

Tardevil Well-Known Member

Early College started the new school year on August 7th, but it can never hurt to call and talk to the principal, Mr. Garland, and/or the GC, Mr. Allred, about the program and whether they ever accept transfers either there or Middle College. Middle College does have a different admin staff.

7. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Have you considered homeschooling? There are MANY options ...including online classes with live teachers, other online classes, dual enrollment at the community college, traditional textbook approach, clubs, co-ops with students meeting weekly to for classes, ...

LifeSpring Academy in Clayton offers full-time school options for k-12 as well as enrichment options for homeschoolers.
    http://www.lifespringacademy.com

8. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Join the GiftsNC Yahoo group. Many, many homeschoolers there w/ various special needs, including Aspbergers. Great place to start. We homeschool 7 of ours. The other 3 go to public school. One begged to get out of public school last semester. It's all dependent upon the child. There are MANY options w/ homeschooling though & online stuff now as well. Good luck.

Stephanie-- mom to 10

9. cathy0517

Thanks, I will check this out.

10. cathy0517

Yes, she was not accepted as a Freshman and was very disappointed but she also has her heart set on going to Duke and they do not accept the degree from them.

11. cathy0517

Thank you, I will look into this.

12. cathy0517

Thank you, I will check this out.

13. cathy0517

Thanks everyone, got some great suggestions to look into.

14. jentile4

jentile4 Well-Known Member

the best thing i did for my asperger child was to pull him out of Johnston County School.

I hope school administrators are reading this. A few years ago they were not equipped to handle asperger children. My child has blossomed since I pulled him out of there.

I am sorry that the other children are being mean to your child.

15. cathy0517

May I ask where your child went?