Military Flag

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

My dad had passed away back in 2010. He was in the Coast Guard back during World War II. He was stationed up in the Aleutian Islands. I found out that my step mom never requested the flag upon my fathers passing. She gave me the okay to request it.

My question is how does one go about requesting the flag upon the passing of a vet?

Thanks

Bob V.

2. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

Hi Bob. Let me ask my dad. He's a retired Coast Guard Captain and now works as a civilian attorney at Coast Guard Headquarters in D.C. I'm sure he can check to see if there is someone there who handles those types of request or at least can get an answer for you. I know he'd be happy to help. I may need to P.M. for more info, but I'll let you know. :cheers:

3. VolleyGrl

4. Rockyv58

Thanks, I will check the links out when I get home. I do have his dog tags if your dad needs any information off of them.

5. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

VG, way to go to respond and thanks for your father's service.

Bob, thanks for your father's service. Much respect for you seeking 'his' flag.

6. tukasiya

tukasiya Well-Known Member

Rocky, I am sorry that you lost your Dad.

Assuming that your family used a funeral home or a cremation service after his death, you could take a copy of your Dad's DD-214 (military discharge papers) to whomever handled his remains and they should be able to help you with obtaining a flag. They have a form which is attached to the DD-214 and taken to most any US Post Office where you can get a flag at no cost. The VA provides flags free of charge for veterans.

7. Rockyv58

I am starting to fill out the pdf file. Just waiting on step mom to get the exact date of death.

Also how would I find out Date entered active duty and date released from active duty?

8. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

Rocky, rather than filling out forms, I would pick up the phone and call the NC Veterans Affairs office in Raleigh at 919-807-4250, or they have a web address where you can submit inquiries also. You will be able to find out exactly what you need from them and in a much more timely fashion than by snail mail IMO. Here's the link to their site:

http://www.doa.nc.gov/vets/contactus.aspx

9. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

There is an office in Smithfield too, right in the Land Use building on Main St

10. Rockyv58

Sweet. I am over at school right now doing some studying. On my way home this afternoon I will stop in there.

I want to thank you all for your imput. I just hope that it is not too late for me to do it. My father had passed away in the early hours of February 8th, 2010. Just hours after the New Orleans Saints won the superbowl.

11. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Call Veteran Affairs in Washington.

12. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

I had to search for my dads DD214 when he died.

If you need your dads DD214 it may be on record at the county building. Usually, most veterans will put a copy on record at the county building in the town they return home to when they exit the service. Call the records clerks of all the county's you think he may have used and ask for a search.

Most (80%) of the military records of WWII veterans were destroyed in a fire on July 12, 1973 at the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC). It destroyed approximately 16-18 million Military Personnel Files. No PC's or microfilm was used back then.

I'm not sure if Coast Guard Personnel Records were in that fire?? If your dads files were in that fire it's going to be tough getting his papers if he didn't put them on record.

13. VolleyGrl

US Coast Guard Headquarters
    Decedent Affairs
    (800) 772-8724

14. Rockyv58

I went over to the land use building and they ended up giving me the http://www.uscg.mil/directives/cim/1...CIM_1770_9.pdf.

They told me that for the DATE ENTERED ACTIVE DUTY and the DATE RELEASED FROM ACTIVE DUTY I would need the DD214. My dad passed away in Palm Harbor, Florida. My stepmom is looking for the information for me. She is also looking for the SSN and the VA FILE NUMBER.

The folks at the veterans office said if I had to order the DD214 it would take 6-8 weeks. And also once the form is filled out I just bring it over to the post office.

15. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

16. Rockyv58

Well I am assuming I am the next of kin. Though my father did remarry I did ask my step-mom if she had ever put in for it and she said no. I asked her if I could put in for the flag and she said yes.

I guess she is the next of kin but doesn't want the flag. They did have three kids together a son 20 and twins 15.

I am the eldest son from his original marriage. If she (step mom) does not want it would I be considered next of kin? or his kids from his second marriage?

17. VolleyGrl

Call the Decedent Affairs office in DC. This is their job and can point you in whatever directions you may need.

US Coast Guard Headquarters
    Decedent Affairs
    (800) 772-8724

If you're still having trouble after calling send me a PM and some info and my dad can probably shoot an email to someone about it as well. Sometimes having someone on the "inside" will save from having to jump through a ton of hoops. And thankfully my dad has some clout so might as well take advantage if we can!

18. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Well, your stepmom can always put in for it and just give it to you, right?

Your dad's social security number should be easy to come by... she needed it to apply for benefits for their other children - and hey, she should know her husband's ssn. Isn't the VA File number the same as the ssn?