Is it legal ...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by elims, Sep 6, 2012.

1. elims

elims Well-Known Member

... to pass a slow moving vehicle (mail truck stopping at every mailbox, tractor, plow, etc.) if you have double lines? OR do you have to follow behind going 5MPH until they either pull off the road, or you get the broken lines saying it's ok to pass?

I figured someone on here would know!

2. Neighborhood MoM

Neighborhood MoM Well-Known Member

That is a great question"

I know with our roads becoming so busy and mail deleivery car/postal trucks where do we stand on the roads. I have been caught up behind so many of them and I stick with the rules we were taught never cross the double yellow line, but what do you do when you can creat a hazard with holding back traffic or just rolling with the delivery people. I can hear people screaming for gosh sakes just move around the darn thing. But I do not want a ticket either. So what is the legal stand here from DMV/ State HP / Sheriff ?

3. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

Don't know if it's legal or not...but I pass them.
    And I have done it with a Sheriff behind me (and he did it too) and with a Trooper in front of me a couple cars.

And idiots on moped/scooters too. Pass them too.

4. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

According to the NC DMV Driver's Handbook (pg 45):
    I didn't look up postal vehicles, but I would presume the rule is the same.

5. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

I would say it falls under the interpretation factor of any LEO that sees it and views whether it was a safe or unsafe move or if they be having a bad day.

6. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I see this is settled.

7. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

First thing they TRY to teach us in Basic Law Enforcement Training is USE SOME COMMON SENSE!!

So, if you go around a slow-moving vehicle as you described in a no-passing zone, but do it safely, then everything should be fine, even if in front of an LEO.

However, if you get in/cause an accident by your movement, then you will probably get charged.

So, don't get in a rush and use sound judgement.

8. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Can I get an Amen!?

9. Meaninglessphoto

Meaninglessphoto Active Member

Can't they just make farm/construction equipment on busy roads such as 50hwy illegal? lol. it just creates too many problems, especially when the traffic coming the other way is just as busy as the traffic behind a tractor.

10. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

The way things have been around here lately I don't think so

11. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Come here folks....... :roll:

12. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

How about if they just move the farms far away from where people live. :banghead:

13. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Actually in that case I have often seen farmers pull over to the side of the road when they safely can and wait for traffic to pass.

All comes down to the common courtesy thing.....which isn't so common any more.

14. KellBell

I don't mind if I am breaking the law, breaking the law....I am surely not going to stay behind 'em. ;)

And for the record, I don't just whip around, I do make sure nothing is coming towards me in the other lane. :mrgreen:

15. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I wish so hard they would outlaw those darned mopeds. I HATE those things. I firmly believe if it's a private motorized vehicle (obviously not farm equipment, those are plenty big enough to see in advance :mrgreen:), then you ought to be able to keep up with traffic. It's a pure wonder to me more of the riders aren't killed.

16. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

If they can make it illegal for 18 wheelers to go on certain roads and stay in certain lanes it is not far fetched.

17. KellBell

:iagree:

18. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Again, you are joking right?

19. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

The thing that ticks me off is when people pull up beside of you at a stoplight to make an illegal right hand turn. If there is not a DESIGNATED turn lane and you pull up beside of someone who is going straight and you turn right on red YOU ARE BREAKING THE LAW. I did not know that until I got pulled one day for doing that very thing. Now I wait my turn (no pun intended) to make my turn.

20. mom23

mom23 Active Member

The farmers were here LONG before the traffic. Deal with it. Everyone complains about having to eat food imported from other countries and then they complain about the farmers here. We live in a farming community in case y'all havent noticed. Why in the world did you move here? Didn't you realize there would be tractors?