Anyone helping children in Cleveland get computers?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Ron Still, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Ron Still

Ron Still Well-Known Member

Teachers have children, who don't have a computer to "type" their homework and have nothing to practice with at home. We have residents who can't afford to get their car repaired and have to beg for rides; ones who can't get calls, because their phone is out of minutes; families who eat only when they find a food pantry to help provide food; and they don't buy the children a computer!

With the new curriculum pushing computer skills to younger children and demanding more computer skills at all ages, I would like to know how many resources already exist to place free computers in children's homes in the Cleveland area.

If no resource currrently exists, I would like to find others in this area, who would like to consider this as a community project to help keep our children from falling behind.

My thinking is very narrow at this time. I am not thinking about starting a recycling and refurbishing service, because one exists. I am not thinking about teaching keyboarding and program use, because those are freely available. I am thinking about being able to provide a computer and 19" monitor, with System 7 PRO software and office for no more cost than $2,000 for a class of 30 or under $100 per child.

For more information call me at 919-661-6565 or 919-772-2082 or catch me at the Cleveland Library clearance sale. Information will be posted at http://4042needs.org as it develops.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  2. Grammie

Grammie Well-Known Member

How about contacting repair shops to donate what people don't pick up?

3. Ron Still

Why we don't use some sources for used computers.

1. We want all children to get a uniform package.
    2. We don't wish to get involved in legal ownership issues.
    3. We want a source that will provide a fully bench tested CPU and monitor with a parts and labor guarantee.
    4. We want a cleaned computer without risk of offensive material.
    5. The computer must have the latest Pentium 4 processor so it can run Windows 7 Pro.
    5. We want new, with licenses, Windows 7 Pro operating system and the standard Microsoft office package.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  4. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Some times you cannot have what you want but instead what you need. There are A LOT of people out getting by just fine without the newest/latest computer systems ...that they paid for themselves....just saying.

5. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

+1 :cheers:

I WANT a lot of things but I get what I can afford.

6. Ron Still

Let's put it another way, don't just give the kids your hazardous waste.

I have a source that is providing us with a refurbished complete computer system with new sealed software loaded and tested for $65. Regarding the newest and latest comment: Microsoft Office 2007 is still 5 years old and there is little point in training children on anything older. In many cases children will take homework to school for printing and amending. Pentium 4 is considered the oldest version of the Pentiums that can run the System 7 and many new software programs. This is the oldest software that meets many needs of today's schools.

Older CRTs and computers, most not working, have been donated/dumped in large quantities on local charities since the hazardous waste laws tightened. I do not wish this to happen to our program or our children.

I would love to hear what ncmom and michelle spent on their computers, if they think a $65 educational investment gift to a child is not reasonable. It is cheaper than many textbooks.

Basic Needs Ministry is not permitted to duplicate existing programs, so this started with the simple question, how many resources already exist to place free computers in children's homes in the Cleveland area.

This is a needs not wants based spec sheet for equipment provided by Triangle United Way. This specifically fills the need of the new curriculum. Since the states are taking cursive writing out of the curriculum, we should no longer feel a new pencil is all kids need for a successful new school year.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Have you ever heard the expression you catch more flies with honey than vinegar? Just sayin'

8. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

The dude is out trying to do good for the kids and still gets lambasted for it, at least he's putting forth the effort and I don't see where he is benefiting from it other than knowing he's helping some who may be in need.

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I never said he wasn't and I didn't "lambast". Pay attention. What I am suggesting is that his approach needs a tweak if he is going to get the results he is seeking.

10. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Relax, I may be a lil heavy handed on lambasted and didn't intend for it to be directed to you as much as the other responses.

11. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

This is interesting. I recently viewed a 4th grade teacher's website, and there was a writing assignment. Stated on the webpage was that it had to be written in cursive because it is part of the curriculum.

Also, the curriculum may push more computer use, but in several elementary schools I've been in, there are only one or two computers available in the classrooms for the whole class to use. Some schools only have one computer lab that is used for "technology" class so students would not be able use those computers frequently. The common core's technology requirements are many times incorported on SmartBoards or Mimios, not necessarily each individual student at a computer (although that would be nice!)

12. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

And to think, I am a teacher with no computer in my office (which is my "home" since I don't have my own classroom).