O My .... perhaps WEBBIE needs

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JCoRes, Sep 10, 2012.

1. JCoRes

JCoRes Well-Known Member

to have this checked out ...

Found in classified today - could be spam for someone who will answer OR geesh ....

FOR SALE: Baby Alex Needs a New home
    Categories: Infant & Child No
    Photo

Ad Number: 182313
    Date Posted: 09/10/2012
    raleigh, NC

Telephone:
    E-Mail: Reply to Ad
    Web Site:

Description

Times are hard and this little boy needs the best in life. Alex is a very cute little baby who needs a new home to call family, please if you feel you can take care of him and give him the best home every contact me for more details.

Sandy

2. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Very sad.

I'm curious, though, as to why the contact name is "Grace", but the posting is signed by "Sandy".

3. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

That ad has been removed from the Classifieds. We've actually removed that same ad, with different variations, time and time again over the years.

If you had contacted them, you would have gotten a hard luck story and the request to send money to "help." Just another attempt by scum of the earth scammers trying to take advantage of someone. We can only hope they fall down a flight of steps today and suffer multiple injuries. Karma ya know. Just sayin'. 8)

4. TheSantaFeMan

TheSantaFeMan Active Member

Next time you should probably call the cops and tell them someone is trying to sale a baby on here and let them see what "hard luck" really is :D

5. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

SELL

:banghead:

6. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

We've actually been contacted by the SBI about this in the past. However, there is nothing they can do about it. These ads are placed by people in other countries for the most part, and also use a variety of methods to cover their tracks. Anybody who had a method to stop these scum would be rich indeed...in many ways!

7. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Since you can "see" a user's IP address, and since IP addresses are country specific, and since you don't really need people from other countries posting ads to our "local" classifieds, why don't you just filter out anything that does not come from the USA?

(Look HERE for more info)

8. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Too late. :jester:

9. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that the webmaster, by virtue of having a local website, knew everything there was to know.

Perhaps he doesn't want to filter.
    Perhaps he didn't know it was possible.
    Perhaps he just didn't think about it.

I seriously doubt he needs you to speak for him, though.

10. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

We actually do quite a bit of filtering on the server firewall, but that's not a perfect solution by any means.

For instance....a lot of the scammers use Canadian IP's. We blocked them at one time and got quite a few complaints because folks at Northern Telcom couldn't get to the site. Their local internet traffic in RTP was being routed through the Canadian network of the parent company. So, someone attempting to browse 4042.com from RTP, it was actually coming from a Canadian IP, and thus blocked.

I could go into other, similar stories concerning Iraq (Johnston County deployed who want to access the site), people traveling abroad on vacation or for work being blocked, etc.

In short, blocking an IP number or a range of IP numbers that correspond to a particular country has a cost/benefit effect, and, in the long run, the scammers just switch to another country and get right back in. MANY of the scam ads that are placed and the replies that people receive come from US IP's also...from compromised networks. When we see that, we often email the network administrator to let them know that their network is being used by scammers, but, rarely do we see any action taken on that.

So, it's an ongoing battle....much like swatting flies. You get rid of some, and others show up to take their place.

11. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Dang it, this young 'un is driving me crazy and my ad keeps getting deleted from The Classifieds. Where's the complaint department?

12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Absouletly can vouch for the webmaster on this!

13. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

Hitting the like button!!:hurray:

14. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Damn it, Squirrel . . you make me laugh!

15. Tit4Tat

Tit4Tat Well-Known Member

So, I guess selling my teenager is out of the question? Just kidding. :jester:

16. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

What about IP addresses that are cloned? I from time to time use cloned IP's when I download torrent files.

17. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Can't say that cloned IP's are something that have every been a particular problem for us.

18. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Hey Webbie - looks like the dope dealers are back on the classifieds again! :banghead:

19. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Kicked to the curb. Thanks for the notice. 8)