Cleveland Fire Department

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Abdulina, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Hello all. This might sound like a stupid question but won't be my first time asking a stupid question. I've heard you can take tours for kids of the fire house. that they'll show you around the station and the trucks. I wanted to call so looked on the website. See a phone #. Is that the one I use? I don't want to call an emergency # or anything of that nature. Making sure that I'm using the right # and not creating mayhem. LOL. So, anyone on here know if that is the correct # for asking a question. Second, does anyone know if they give tours at that station on Cleveland School Rd? One by DR Wells area. I thought it would be nice to take some of my homeschoolers there to learn just what they do around the community and what all it takes to be a fireman. If anyone has done this before or has info, please share. Thanks in advance. Or, if anyone knows that it's okay to call that phone #.

Thanks,

Stephanie-- mom to 10

2. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

That is the correct number to call for non-emergencies. If it were to be used for emergencies only, it would be clearly, plainly posted as such. (The emergency number in this area is 911).

While visiting the local (Clayton) Fire Department is cool and fun, the fire station #1 in Raleigh is even better. They are one of the only three fire stations left in the state that still has a fire pole. :)

You'll have to ask them about tours. I don't know of any that won't, but they don't like you to just walk in without scheduling something. The fire fighters are more than accommodating (but remember they can get busy and sometimes have to interrupt a tour when a call comes in).

3. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

I found THIS request form on the Raleigh FD website. It says they require a 30-day notice.

I could not find a comparable form on the Cleveland Fire Department website.

4. Abdulina

Thanks all! I assumed the # was non-emergency but I don't like interrupting a business, especially one that does life saving acts, for a call like this. Thanks for all the info guys! Can't wait to go. Going to call and set something up today. And yes, very well aware if there is a call that they will have to abruptly leave. I watched my neighbor's house burn down years ago in Clayton. (struck by lightening). I'll never forget that night. I have a high respect for what these people do. Can't wait for the kids to learn more! Have a great day all.

Stephanie-- mom to 10

5. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Just out of curiosity, do I remember that you mentioned at one time that you home-schooled? If so, you might mention this as well when you set up the tour.

6. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

One of the 50-210 EMS stations is also located at the Cleveland Fire Dept. on Cleveland School Rd. by DR Wells. You may want to ask if you can also speak with an EMT/Paramedic and have them show the kids one of the trucks.

7. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

Good Idea!!!
    it is VERY important that all kids meet firemen in a nice setting. A child is scared and upset during a fire and may not know what to do. Even more importantly the scott packs that the firemen wear can be scary to a little child. They need to know that if they see someone wearing that, they should not hesitate to go to them. Too many kids have died because they hid in closets and under beds. A firemen wearing this apparatus doesn't look like a person and the child might think of monsters.

8. grandma4

grandma4 Well-Known Member

9. cvfdcaptain

cvfdcaptain Well-Known Member

Anytime anyone needs anything from the FD, please do not hesitate to contact us, we are here for you, the TAXPAYER, and take great pride in our department, and even more pride in serving the community!!

10. Abdulina

They were AWESOME! Anyone gets a chance, go visit. My kids could not believe how clean it was or how big the trucks were. They had no idea the equipment that goes into the truck. For some reason, I think they were in awe b/c it was the quietest I'd ever seen them. LOL. The guys were nice, left chances for questions and took them on a tour inside the building as well. Gave them coloring packets and hats. My younger kids wore those hats the rest of the day. Just wanted to say thanks so much for taking the time to talk to the kids. If any of you get the chance, do go. I think we spoke w/ Dane and Andrew but I'm unfortunately horrible with names. Bottom line is this department is top notch. BTW, they later had a call that day and my kids were so impressed that they knew stuff as the truck was whizzing by to a call. Kids learned a bunch and that was thanks to the Cleveland Fire Department. Don't ever want them to come to my house (for a fire) but if they ever HAD to come, glad there are people like that protecting us. You can't find a better group of folks in your community.

Stephanie-- mom to 10

11. Bluewillow

Bluewillow Well-Known Member

A man just rang our doorbell several times and was really pounding on the door. His baseball cap had Mclemore (?) Fire on it. Is this related to the Cleveland Fire dept? I looked on a Johnston county site and didn't see this listed. We believe in supporting our local services but would like to know if this is legit. Thanks!

12. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

I can't find the story I read, but there was a guy with a lady driving a trailblazer going around taking donations in the Selma/Thanksgiving FD area not too long ago...totally a scam. One of the victims found out when they tried to get the picture made at the fire dept. Ticks me off. If I can find the story, I will post it.

Found it in the Clayton News Star:

http://www.claytonnewsstar.com/2012/10/27/2440919/fundraising-scammer-knocking-on.html

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012