Picking A New Car

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Sherry A., Sep 18, 2012.

1. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I am getting ready to buy a car after driving my Volvo for 15 years. I'd like to spend $20k or less and trade my car in. There are so many cars on the market and I would like suggestions on what car you would buy and why. When I say new car it can be a used car with low mileage.

Thanks,
    Sherry

2. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

My Parents have a Toyota Prius. They love that car. The gas mileage is awesome.

3. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

I've got one too. MPG is anywhere from 53-57. It's a great little car, and I've even been able to put 10' pieces of lumber in it and close the hatch.

4. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

They told me they average more than 50 miles per gallon. :)
    That might be my next car. I have a Nissan Altima 3.5 now.

I do like my Altima, but 50 mpg. would be better. :)

5. twisty

twisty Well-Known Member

I asked a lady at the Costco gas station about her Prius and she loved it...but she said it was meant to be an "in town" car to get the best mileage although she did pretty well on the highway as well. Since most of my miles are highway I've been wondering if a Prius is the right choice for that type of driving.

6. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

I do mostly highway driving between Clayton & RTP. I think I've only had one tankful under 52 mpg in over a year.

7. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

We have a Toyota Camry CE (that means the basic, cheaper model I think), and are pleased with its performance. We bought it new in 2007, and it now has over 100,000 miles on it, mostly highway driving for hubby's work commute. Due for new struts (design flaw, but not a recall because it "does not pose a safety hazard" according to them). we get about 35 mpg which is less than the Prius, but the payoff for us is that it is a roomy car, sits adults in the back seat comfortably, and we can also haul stuff in it when putting the back seat down (but we have a truck for bigger stuff if need be), and a very large trunk. When we purchased it, it was either a Honda or this one, and we're satisfied with our choice.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  8. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

My BIL traded his Prius for a Challenger. :lol:

9. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

There's a shocker.

I'd say the Prius is right up your alley. Don't forget to take the Prius oath.

"I solemnly swear that I will maintain a scowl on my face as I drive in the left lane while going five MPH below the speed limit at all times. So help me Mao".

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

11. Sherry A.

12. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Are you looking for sedan or coupe? Small, midsize, or large?

13. tukasiya

tukasiya Well-Known Member

How about supporting Obama and his bailout by buying one from "Government" Motors? You can get a Volt with tax incentives for about $34,000. Great mileage and you will be helping the taxpayers get their money back.

14. Sherry A.

Small to midsize, four door. I'd like a sunroof, good gas mileage, leather seats that heat and cool. I don't understand much more about cars so that is why I am asking. I am going to trade in my 1996 Volvo and will pay cash for the remainder of the price.

Sherry

15. Sherry A.

Too much money for my budget.

Sherry

16. Tardevil

Tardevil Well-Known Member

Mine, too!

17. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

when you narrow it down, go to www.edmunds.com/ and you can compare the features etc.

18. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

check out Kias. They are not the small little cars they used to be. I compared a bunch of cars and I got the most bang for my buck.

19. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Bought a 2112 Suzuki Kizashi a few months back. I would buy another.

The Kia Optima gets great reviews also.

20. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

I've really enjoyed my Ford Focus. I've had 2 so far, just buying the latest one 2 weeks ago and have been very happy with both of them. I especially liked the fact that they didn't accept any bail out money. I never had any issues with my first one, putting 150,000 miles on it and it was still going strong.