Picking A New Car

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Sherry A., Sep 18, 2012.

1. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

My sister has a Hyundai Sonata that has been a very good car. She got it after her Saturn was totaled, she has liked the Sonata much better.

We've had a Dodge Caliber the past couple years as a "run around" car and it's been a good one.

I know a couple folks with the Ford Fusion and if I was in the market for a car, I would give them serious consideration.

There is always the Toyota Camrys too.

2. elims

elims Well-Known Member

I've known several Kia owners, and they'd all buy another. You do get a lot for the money, and they have every shape and size! I definitely wouldn't disregard them.

3. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Definitely a great resource ... when you've narrowed down your selection a bit, go to edmunds.com for specs and reviews!

4. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

What's the difference in Pre-Owned and Certified Pre-Owned?

Sherry

5. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Certified means it's had to pass certain inspections, and the inspector should stand behind the inspection. Ask what kind of certification it has ... dealer certified, or manufacturer certifed ... and what it covers. It's like a warranty.

6. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Thanks P and elims. This is tougher than I thought.

Sherry

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I get tired of researching stuff, truth be told. So I had decided I wanted a new minivan a couple months ago. I went down to Capital, test drove one in the color I wanted that had the options I wanted and drove off with it less than 2 hours later. Sometimes you just DO IT!

DH was a little suprised, but I had been telling him I was gonna get one! :jester:

8. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

We are very happy with our Chevy Cruze. Gets about 45-50mpg highway, and around 30-35mpg in city driving. Lot of car for the money, doors feel solid when you close them, fairly quiet and pretty comfortable, and has some extras you don't usually find on cars in this price range. We bypassed cars with electric because it seems like you have to replace the battery after 3-4 years, and the cost to do that is ridiculous...you lose all the money you saved on gas because the battery goes bad, and on top of that it is a fairly good chunk of money all in one hit. Just a thought. Down side of the Cruze...it has had a couple of recalls, one concerning the design of the area around where the oil is changed. If you change your own oil and are very good about cleaning up around the area (or have a trusted mechanic that is good about this) then probably no worries. If you have your oil changed by people in a hurry or that aren't too careful, it may be a fire hazzard.

9. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Yeah, it is a frustrating process ... but when you think about it, you're making an investment in a vehicle that you'll have for .. hopefully .. many years, and in which you're putting your life (and your friends/family). Sometimes a good idea is to go to a lot like Carmax and test drive a variety. Get a feel for what you like, dislike. Does it feel cheap or plastic? Plastic cars don't hold up well in accidents! Size ... is it too big? Too cramped inside? Are there obvious blind spots? Does it get good gas mileage, or are you going to be shelling out a fortune for a gas guzzler? (Good gas mileage is right up there at the top of my 'must have' list!)

I tend to research something half to death before I make a large purchase, if you couldn't tell. ;)

There's merit in doing it KDC's way ... a lot less worry and stress ... but I need to know more before I buy.

10. tatorgirl

tatorgirl Active Member

I purchased a Hyundai Elantra about 4 months ago and absolutely love it. I am averaging between 35 and 40 mpg driving to work in Raleigh. I was also concerned with the battery replacement and decided to stick with conventional car that just provided great gas mileage. We were extremely impressed with how much car you got for the money comparing Hyundai to it's competitors. The 10 year/100.000 mile warranty doesn't hurt either.

11. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Well, it was the 4th one I had bought of the same make and model, it wasn't a complete unknown to me, I just wanted a new one. :mrgreen:

12. elims

elims Well-Known Member

lol - wow, so you really DID know exactly what you wanted!! :lol:

13. dietz4ibanez

dietz4ibanez Well-Known Member

I would suggest this as well!

14. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

I bought a new Chevy Sonic a couple of weeks ago. Made in USA (mostly - engine is from Korea), great gas mileage, and I like the way it rides and handles. Reasonable price. I thought I wanted a Cruz, but after driving both I found I preferred the Sonic.

15. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Sherry, call Steve Hill at GR Motors, he is a friend of mine and he specializes in finding the right car for each person to fit them specifically. My son recently bought a car with him and it was great. Oh yeah he specializes in $20k and under. His number is 980-613-1038. Thats his cell and just tell him i sent ya.