Process for county water hookup

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by claytonian, Sep 24, 2012.

1. claytonian

claytonian Well-Known Member

Okay, went Friday to pay the fee for the tap only to find out that I needed to go back to Town of Clayton for the permit. Stopped in this morning to get permit and was asked if the plumber had a privilege license for the Town of Clayton - I seriously don't understand what some of questions on that application have to do with county water - for instances, are there going to be vending machines, pool tables, wine and beer sold at the venue were among a few. So my question is, does anyone know of a licensed plumber with a privilege license with the town of Clayton that isn't going to break the bank on me hooking up the tap to my existing line? Thank you in advance.

2. ditch digger

ditch digger Well-Known Member

Plumbers ain't cheap but the questions on the permit application have to do with back low prevention. They don't want chemicals back flowing into the public water supply.

3. MamaApe

MamaApe Well-Known Member

Waters Plumbing, 919-772-3325 has done a few for my listings & have been reliable & affordable. I am not sure about the privilege license but may be worth a phone call. Good Luck!

4. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

what about residential hook ups?

5. claytonian

Sooo.... what do the following questions on the privilege license for the plumber have to do with anything? - are there mechanical rides, vending machines, jukeboxes, pool tables, will the location have a car wash, sell beer or wine, whether it is unfortified wine, etc. the hook up is at my residence.

anyone else run into this when trying to pull a permit to hook up for county water

6. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

We haven't looked in to it yet but I'd like to know what you find out. We don't live far from you. We passed when they came through laying the lines now we'd like to hook up. I have no idea what it costs or who to contact. ...whom?

7. claytonian

So far, we've paid for the tap - that is done in the Johnston County Public Utility Building in Smithfield - fee is $1,370. In order to get a permit, we were sent back up to Clayton, though we do not live in city limits, we are in the town limits. The permit is about $32 but now I'm finding out the plumber needs a privilege license and that runs $50. What a process..... I so cannot wait until it is all said and done

8. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

It's been a long time... The tap fee opens a work order for them to come out tap the main and install meter, the permit opens paper trail for inspections. Any legit plumber should be properly licensed so that 50 bucks isn't something you pay directly, but plumber will charge you to hook up to the meter you had set and get it inspected.

9. claytonian

I know technically the plumber would pay the $50 but even though he is licensed, he still needs a privilege license for Clayton to do business in Clayton as inspections department mentioned this a.m. I'm assuming that is in addition to his plumbing license.

10. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

As I said any legit plumber would already have his privilege license that is a standard thing they renew every year for any towns and cities they work in. It is a separate license than their actual plumbing license. Often times they will have 10 plus privilege licenses depending how far a radius their area is.