Public Voting at Elementary School while school is in session

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by kidsfly, Sep 25, 2012.

1. kidsfly

kidsfly Well-Known Member

Cleveland Elementary School will be open to the public to vote for our next President on Nov. 6th while small children are attending school that day.

Does anybody else see a problem with this!!??

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

They did it while I was in Grade school (over 40 years ago), really wasn't a negative and actually got me interested in politics.

I have more of a problem with it being done in churches.

3. kidsfly

You both have good points. But I can't help but think of safety concerns. The voting is held in the gymnasium within the school building.

I may be the only one who feels this way, but I believe there are better options than this one.

4. Tardevil

Tardevil Well-Known Member

Amen, brother!

5. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

Well, what are they?

6. kidsfly

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  7. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

and the rest of the county? They use schools all over.

8. kidsfly

9. kidsfly

Ya got me on that one, Lucky1. I honestly don't know. It is a shame that there isn't a way to not have school in session (maybe deem it a teacher work day?) or find alternative voting locations.

I realize it is all too late to try and make changes now for this election. I just find it bothersome.

Thanks for letting me vent. :)

10. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

Or on any other day. The last time a similar tragic event happened in this county was not on an election day.

And I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I understand the concern.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  11. kidsfly

In case your question was not sarcastic, this part:
    "An 8-year-old girl was seriously injured on the day of the primary election in February. An 86-year-old man who came to the Lyons Elementary School in Randolph to vote lost control of his SUV, which struck her.
    The Randolph school system quickly announced that its schools would be closed on election day in November. Many districts followed Randolph’s lead, including Rockland."

And yes, I know. Accidents like this can happen anywhere. I guess I'm just a worry-wart. You're dying to call me that ain't ya? ;)

Night all.

12. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

happens every year. kids dont have gym that day is only change. Not a big deal.

13. kidsfly

Ironic though (and stealing from another online site) that:
    “In today’s world, we ask a mother to show her driver’s license before she can deliver cupcakes to her daughter’s classroom,” said John H. Weicker, security director for Fort Wayne Community Schools. “But on Election Day, we were allowing every Tom, **** and Harry to walk in the front door.”

This article shows both sides to this issue.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/19/us/19cancel.html

{Really signing off this time...lol}

14. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Me, too.

15. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

As mentioned, using schools as polling locations is not new. Perhaps concerned people like yourself can identify safety concerns, develop a plan with school staff and volunteer to be at the school on election day to implement the plan. In the future you could rally parents to ask the school board to schedule a teacher work day on election day.

16. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

You don't want to vote in a church? Simple solution: Don't vote.

Problem solved... Next?

17. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

The answer is Early Voting! :jester:

18. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

They've been voting in schools for years. The gym is blocked off from the inside. NO exit into the school from the gym. There is one way in and one way out (onto school property).

There is no more 'threat' than any other day, in my opinion.

Hell, this day and age, some of the 'concerns' are right there in the classroom with them. just sayin'.

:rolleyes:

19. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Exactly. I was trying to figure out what the big issue was. Have you been in the carpool lanes? Half those people aren't paying any more attention to what's going on than flying to the moon. I'm much more concerned about them than some voters.

20. kidsfly

Very true, which is why I'm confused as to why add additional traffic/parking issues on an already chaotic situation. Having voters come onto school property with school buses unloading/loading children, not familiar with carpool etiquette, etc. seems like it could present even worse situations.

I understand the hesitation for some to vote at a church site; however, there is ample parking, no small children, and plenty of room for the public to demonstrate, hold signs, etc. A much smaller potential of danger to young children. If polling sites must be at schools, why choose the youngest school aged location? Why not high schools? I could see a stranger asking a lone child on his way to the rest room to come outside to see his/her puppy and most children not hesitate to go. A high school student--- not so much.

I agree with NCMom that there are other steps to take in implementing solutions to my concern. I am a person that doesn't just sit back and complain and will instead become involved in finding solutions to issues. This is one that strikes me as a "wow, what if?" but-- if I am the only person who has concerns, it is one of those things I will choose to let go. I posted to see if anyone else thought this is not a great idea and have gotten my answer. Thanks.

Moving on now.