Tickets & insurance rates...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by 2not2, Sep 27, 2012.

1. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

My son got a ticket in the summer...paid an attorney, paid for defensive driving class and was told it was dropped to an "improper equipment" so it would not reflect on insurance. WELL...we were told yesterday that our insurance is about to increase by $200/month because of it. WTH did he pay for, then???

2. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

I'm thinking, probably a down payment on the lawyer's daughter's braces.

Did you get the promise that it wouldn't affect insurance in writing? Verbal agreements aren't worth the paper they're written on.

3. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I haven’t dealt with this, but I would think that a lot of people would approach it the same way she did. Keep it quiet from the insurance company and let them find out on their own while trying to get it reduced to a lesser offense.
    Are you saying that the insurance guy is going to find out anyway?

4. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

I wasn't trying to hide the ticket from the insurance company, I just didn't think about it. I was trying to help my son stay on top of things and make sure HE did everything he was told to do. Last time I checked, his court date had been moved for a 2nd time, then all of a sudden the other day he gets a letter from his attorney saying it's been reduced and it's all over with.

We called our insurance comany yesterday to add a vehicle and they gave us the new rate through the end of the year, which wasn't bad. Then they said that in January, when our policy renews, just on the one vehicle we have now, our rate will go up because of his ticket.

I have spoken to another agent today who told me that the ticket is not affecting the rate she gave me and doesn't know why our company said it would.

Also, our current company said that his rate won't change until he has had his license for 3 years, which will be at age 19, next November. The person I got a rate from today, told me that his rate will go down THIS November, when he has had his license for 2 years.

Guess who will be getting his own policy through the new company??? :lol:

5. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

So, are you saying that it is better/cheaper to have your 18 year old get his/her own policy as soon as they have 2 years experience? I thought it would be more expensive to have them on their own (single car) rather than a policy with their parents with multiple cars (discount). I am looking at total premium cost, 2 policies vs. all on one. TIA

6. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

Ah, got it! Thanks!

7. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

Funny thing about insurance. My wife rear ended two different people last year, the second causing injuries One insurance quote went up by 300. another by 280, and yet a third by only 25 dollars and all were for full coverage on 2 vehicles. Sad thing is, the first quote with the 300 dollar difference and the 25 dollar difference are with the same company. Don't understand it, just care that I can afford it.