Construction Neuse Bridge in Smithfield?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by blessed2adopt2, Sep 27, 2012.

1. blessed2adopt2

blessed2adopt2 Well-Known Member

I go into Smithfield daily from 210 to Brightleaf blvd. There have been construction signs, but they are covered up.

Does anyone know what's going on? Is the bridge being repaired/replaced? If so, how does one get into downtown Smithfield?

2. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

From wtsbradio.com:

Even with advanced publicity and traffic signs, many motorists were caught off guard Wednesday morning by the closing of the US70 Business / West Market Street Bridge over the Neuse River.

The Department of Transportation closed the bridge Tuesday night and by Wednesday morning crews with D.H. Griffin Construction Company of Raleigh were already beginning the demolition phase of the 89 year-old bridge.

A moratorium is in effect that prevents work from taking place in the river prior to Oct. 1. In order for demolition to begin once the moratorium is lifted, crews began work Wednesday morning removing the surface of the bridge and clearing debris, as well as saw cutting and grinding off concrete along the bridge.

Construction of a temporary work bridge in the river will also begin Oct. 1. The work bridge will have steel piles driven into the river that will be thirty-five feet apart. Steel girders will be approximately 12 feet above water, with exact height varying depending on rainfall amounts. Flashing lights and reflective panels will be in place on both sides of the bridge piles and trestle to warn river traffic of the bridge clearance. All river traffic is urged to use safe boating practices and use caution when approaching this area of the Neuse River.

The $5.3 million bridge replacement contract is expected to take 8 months to complete. Once finished, the new bridge, like the old one, will have 5-lanes. However, it will be wider to accommodate a six-foot wide pedestrian walkway on the north side and a 10-foot wide multi-use path on the south side for bicycle and pedestrian traffic.

*If you hang a left off 210 onto 70 business and go to Kmart/McD light, turn right (Wilson's Mills rd), go to the new Booker Dairy rd extension (Durwood Stephenson Hwy), turn right. You will end up at Buffalo and Booker Dairy where they are building the new SECU. Go straight to go by SSS to Brightleaf Blvd (Deacon Jones/Lowe's area) or turn right onto Buffalo instead to go into downtown. There should be lots of detour signs.**

Another link about it. http://www.theherald-nc.com/2012/09/23/24497/town-prepares-for-bridge-closing.html

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  3. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

210 to Galilee Rd, East on Galillee to 301, just south of town. Take 301 North into Smithfield. 70 bypass to Selma and South on 301 works. 70 business to the new road across from Heavner's up to Buffalo and then into town, will work also.

4. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

No need to go that far on 70. Turn at Kmart/McD's and you hit the new extension to Buffalo.

5. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Oh wow, 8 months ... I think I'm going to avoid having to go to Smithfield for awhile!

6. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

We hear it will be shorter than that.... 8)

Shorter Time for Smithfield Bridge
    It's been reported that the US 70 Business (West Market Street) bridge over the Neuse River in Downtown Smithfield will soon be closed for 8 months while it is replaced. However, we hear that it will more likely be just 6 months and possibly even as little as 5 months. (The contractor has incentives to finish early.)
    http://www.4042.com/4042forums/showthread.php?t=36195&highlight=Johnston+County+Rumors

7. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

geez that is scary when offered incentives to finish early :( Concrete can only dry so fast, and I hope they don't do a shabby job just to finish early. Plus you can't control Mother Nature.

8. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

7-8 months from the source

9. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Thankfully on weekends my CNA job doesn't have me driving into downtown Smithfield but it does have me on the detour road. And Four to five days during the week I have to go to JCC so pretty much things are messed up for my traveling for the next few months :(

10. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Galilee Rd option

Rocky
    For those of us near 1010, the quickest route I've found to JCC is 1010 to Swift Creek (flashing light..left goes to airport, right towards 210) turning right onto Swift Creek, R onto 210 for a short bit, Left onto Galilee to 301, North on 301 to Brogden, Left onto MLK just before you hit the overpass of Brogden and 95, R onto College Rd, right into JCC parking lots.
    I swear I think I pass you a couple of days a week in the hallway as we are going opposite directions.
    H6

11. elims

elims Well-Known Member

This - any update on when the bridge will be opening?