What's for Dinner?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Cleopatra, Sep 5, 2012.

1. elims

elims Well-Known Member

I crocked barbecued ribs today ... was very good!! Felt the urge to clean out the freezer so pulled out some ribs I'd had in there.

http://crockingirls.com/recipes/my-crock-o-ribs/

2. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

3. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

Last night, I made "Chinese"...Shake & Bake has a Teriyaki coating mix that my kids love on chicken, with brown rice and homemade egg rolls. I love to make those; all you need is egg-roll wrappers, ground pork, cole slaw mix and stir-fry sauce. MM-MMM!

Will probably make a big pot of chili, pastry, stew or something this weekend. DH has been home this week and said he can't believe as cool as it has been, I haven't made a big pot of SOMETHING! I did make a pot of cabbage/sausage/potatos/carrots one day but it wasn't really what either of us wanted so most of it is still in the fridge.

4. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

5. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

Nooo, this is the what's for dinner thread. LOL

6. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Brought home some sushi tuna and salad fixings.....marinated the tuna for 1/2 hour, then seared it, served it...all gone.

7. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

Black Eye'd Pea Recipe

Does anyone have a tried and true black eye'd pea recipe they can share? I have never made them, and the ones in the can taste like dirt to me. Thanks!

8. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Never really had them cooked any other way than boiling them with either ham hock or strips of bacon for seasoning

But I have to say that I always add salt and usually hot sauce to my black eye peas as well after they are done and on my plate.

9. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Slow cooking some sauerkraut with leftover hambone and ham,poured in about half a bottle of Riesling,will let cook on low for 5-6 hours.

10. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

A firehouse sub for dinner mmmmmm

11. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Cover in water and soak overnight in covered pot. Pour off water and refill with cold water. Cook with ham hock for about 1 hour. Chop raw onions and enjoy. Eat with collards on January 1

12. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Since I moved here, I've always heard you are supposed to have ham on Jan. 1 too.

13. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Forget the ham. Just go with collard greens and black eyed peas!

"We have lots of holiday chances to gorge ourselves in the south, but New Year ‘s Day dinner is a horse of a different color. On most holidays, we southerners eat like kings, but on New Year’s Day we eat like paupers.

Union and Confederate soldiers, along with American civilians, suffered in ways more than just hunger during the American Civil War [sic]. The history of southerners serving black-eyed peas and collard greens began with Union soldiers raiding southern homes of all the most edible foods they could find. The Union soldiers took what they wanted from farms and homes in the south and left only the food that they considered undesirable, such as greens and fatback. Southerners learned to cook these undesirable foods, in order to survive, in a way that is now considered by southerners as good eatin’. Movies like Ride with the Devil and Cold Mountain remind us of the terrible tragedy of the American Civil War [sic].

On New Year’s Day, we remember our southern ancestors and how the American Civil War [sic] affected so many American lives. We usually eat black-eyed peas flavored with hog jowl and collard greens for dinner on New Year’s Day for good luck and in remembrance of times of hardship and courage. The black-eyed peas represent coins and the collard greens represent dollar bills. It is said that if you eat these foods on New Year’s Day, you will have plenty of money that coming year. Whether it really works or not, it’s a tradition that southerners follow for dinner every New Year’s Day. Here’s the way I cook my black-eyed peas and collard greens on new year’s day. I always add Louisiana hot sauce on my black-eyed peas and the collards. Fresh spring onions and a pan of cornbread baked in the old iron skillet make this New Year’s Day dinner complete."

14. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

Dont forget the sweet potatoes to go with the black eye peas and collards. The Sweet Potatoes are your GOLD & your HEALTH! You need good health to go with all that $$!