Broken shipment from FedEx

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Oct 8, 2012.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Last Friday I shipped some pottery to two Galleries in the Mountains,one of them just informed me that out of 24 pieces only 5 survived,the rest were all broken. I didn't pack it but had it packed at the shipping place and had it insured for $500. How big are my chances that I will see a reimbursement for my losses? I've already contacted the shipping place and they will contact FedEx to start the process.

2. AnnetteL

Just found this complaint online,Quote:
    'Shipped package via FEdEx Ground "Insured." Box was destroyed by FedEx. Provided proof of value. I was issued a check for $100.00, the max amount FedEx will issue "regardless" of value or the amount of insurance you pay for. I was sent a letter pointing out exception items (which is about everything that can be shipped).

I have been paying for insurance for all my shipments every day. Not one time have I been told by FedEx that I am paying for a service I will not be receiving. FedEx continues to take customers insurance money without disclosing that they can never get more than $100. I have been paying for insurance when FedEx knows that it is ripping me and the public off by asking for and taking the insurance money. (They will not refund the overpaid insurance either) This needs to be stopped.'

3. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

A lawyer?? And a class-action lawsuit??? If anyone else is in the same boat??? Nice to know that they do not pay above 100. Will relay this info to friends and family!!!

4. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

That's awful! If the shipping place packed it, wouldn't they bear some of the responsibility? I assume you paid them to pack it in addition to the shipping charge to get it to it's destination? Just trying to see it from Fed-Ex's view...they didn't pack it, but they are responsible for at least trying to get there in good condition if they knew it was extremely fragile. Was the box in good shape upon arrival? I hate that happened to you because of all the work you obviously put into the pieces inside which are now broken. I hope you get it worked out and at least get the insured amount back.

5. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I hope you have had the gallery send you pictures of each broken piece and the condition of the boxes.

That sucks!!

:?

6. AnnetteL

When I called the place he just said that he will start the claims process but didn't mention anything about it being partly their responsibility ;)
    I'll find out from the Gallery owner as far how the box looked upon arrival,forgot to ask,I'm still in shock ;)
    Thanks for understanding!

7. AnnetteL

Hadn't thought of that yet,thanks Tassy!

8. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

You don't know that. You only know that AnnetteL read that in one complaint.

Before we get out the pitchforks and torches, how about we wait to see what response AnnetteL gets from FedEx?

9. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Actually both Fed Ex and UPS will automatically insure up to $100 and they will both honor insurance above that, however (here's the catch) when a claim of greater than $100 is made there is an actual investigation in which everything is checked and double checked and inspected and anything not up to their required shipping standards will reduce the amount they are held liable for.

Examples: single wall vs. double wall corrugate. 32 vs. 44 ect or 200lb. vs 275lb corrugate. type of packaging used to wrap the product inside the case, such as bubblewrap vs. kraft packing paper. even things such as the type of tape used to seal the case can have an effect

Also in the event of a claim all materials are usually required to be kept or surrended for the investigation.

Also of note that if you are thinking of sending something ground it usually isn't too much more to ship the item/package as either 2-day or 3-day service which gets a totally differnt type of handling than a ground package does. "Express" packages (anything other than standard ground shipments) get a more hands on transportation than the standard ground.

10. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

I'm no lawyer, but, I think you're going after the wrong source? You used a "Package Consolidator" to package and act as an "agent" to ship your products. They are the party that took first possession of the goods. Their packaging failed to meet the requirements of a shipping company they deal with every day and profit from as a Package Consolidator. It's their responsibility unless you signed a form releasing them. Let them know that. Let them chase the lion.

Here's Fedex's Terms & Conditions on making them the party to go to:
    If you tender packages to a consolidator instead of to us directly, the following limitations apply:

1. Consolidators are not agents of FedEx, and we are not responsible for any errors or omissions made by them.
    2. Inquiries or claims regarding shipments tendered to a consolidator must be directed to the consolidator. We cannot assist the shipper, recipient or third party in these situations, nor do we have any liability for lost, damaged or delayed shipments. The consolidator is the shipper in such cases.
    3. Consolidators may submit claims for refunds or credits for shipping charges under the money-back guarantee policy. Neither the customer who tendered the package to the consolidator nor the recipient is eligible for refunds or credits under the money-back guarantee policy.
    4. In order for a consolidator to receive packaging from FedEx, the consolidator must first enter into a Packaging and Pricing Agreement or a FedEx Authorized ShipCenter Agreement with FedEx.
    5. Consolidators set their own rates for FedEx shipping. They may charge FedEx Retail Rates for FedEx shipping services.
    6. Inquiries regarding shipments paid for at a FedEx Authorized ShipCenter (FASC) must be directed to the FASC.
    7. FedEx assumes no liability, other than to the FASC, for lost, damaged or delayed shipments paid for at an FASC, as the FASC is the shipper of these packages. FASCs are independently owned and operated businesses. See the FASC representative for information regarding rates and services and the terms and conditions of carriage.

FASCs are not agents of FedEx.

11. AnnetteL

Good point Dan! Even the Gallery owner said that it was the packers fault. But since they already filed the claim for me yesterday I'm not sure what the options are now.

12. AnnetteL

Just was told by one of the Gallery owners that it was the worst packing job she's ever seen,with wrapping the pieces in a single sheet of newspaper :x
    As far as the liability of the shipping place goes,this is what I was told: 'Our liability is limited to claims paid by Fedex'.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  13. AnnetteL

Received some pictures from one of the Gallery owners,by the looks of it,it seems that the shipping place used the same newspaper that I used to wrap things up with before transporting it from my home to the shipping store...

14. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

:banghead: :evil: