New Gas Station on 50/Old Drug Store

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by grandma4, Nov 1, 2012.

1. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Retailers pay an interchange fee every time you swipe your credit card.
    If you pay cash, the store saves money. Stations that charge less per gallon for cash payment are simply passing the savings along to you. I don't see how or why you would penalize someone who is trying to help by offering a way to save a few cents.

2. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

Why pay higher price if using a debit card? As far as I know, there is not that "processing" fee that credit card companies charge (which is why places like the Restore ask that the customer use their cards as debit, because it keeps the costs down for them). Debit cards are processed differently, and should not cost more - supposed to be the same as cash. I understand the concept because it discriminates against card users. Just like some stores work the cost of shoplifting into their wares, gas stations do that, too, as mentioned previously in this thread. Credit card fees are part of operating costs, and should not be passed on to a customer who is using one, like it is a punishment or a luxury tax. JMHO

3. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

I'm definitely NOT an expert, but AFAIK, retailers are charged a "swipe fee" for each debit or credit card transaction. The fee for a debit card swipe may be less than that for a credit card, that's probably why Restore prefers to process it as debit.