Driving Question

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Clif001, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Yes, I know I'm about to light a fuse, but the election is just too calm right now, so I thought I'd liven things up a bit. :)

So, here's the scenario...

You're stopped in a left turn lane on a main highway. There is no left turn arrow, just a four way traffic light. There are cars on the on coming side of the street also waiting on the light.

Now, the light turns green. Of course the on coming traffic begins to cross the intersection and obviously you cannot turn until they have all passed.

Now for the question...

Do you:
    A. Stay where you were when you were waiting for the light to change and don't move an inch until you are completely sure it is safe to do so?

or

B. Move out into the intersection a bit so that you can make the turn when the traffic allows (possibly making that turn during a yellow light)?

2. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

I'll play (err, take the bait)....

My answer is B, final answer.

I'm willing to bet that the people that choose A are the same people who completely freeze up at 4 way stops, and like to slow to a crawl on interstate on-ramps and then stop completely because the merge lane is ending and no one has stopped to let them in!!

;)

3. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

4. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

5. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

I'll go with the Rigmaster on this one. I agree with his answer AND his play -by- play analysis.

6. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

+1

7. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

B -
    But it's important to judge it so that you dont get stuck in the intersection.
    You are running a red light if it turns before you get a chance to go and you go anyway. (which most of us "B" people probably do)

8. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Ok, so everyone so far is a B (I'm one too).

So, is there anyone who is an A?

With as many A people as I get stuck behind, there must be at least two or three on here. Heck, I thought it was the way people in NC drive normally.

9. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

10. elims

elims Well-Known Member

I vote 'B'

11. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

i vote A in fact, when i worked at Cat, the light would stay red with no one coming either direction but everyone else would run the light to turn left.

And by law, you are not to be in the intersection until it is clear to turn or proceed, unless there is a median.

Sorry, I just like to follow the rules. I hate getting tickets.

12. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

That's different than described in my scenario.

You got that law anywhere that you can post?

13. sirputz

I know it's different than your scenario, I was giving another one. Gee whiz I can read, I do have an education.

And if you want, look it up yourself! but that was taught in drivers ed, as well as on the test I took to get my license.

Plus, it just makes it safer!

14. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

You want me to look up something that doesn't exist?

15. JayT

JayT Well-Known Member

B.

In driving school, many years ago, they taught us that the Green means it's clear to enter the intersection, not necessarily to complete your turn. Enter the int. on green and proceed when clear... even if the light turns red... That red light is for the next vehicle, since you're already in the intersection. I remember because it blew my mind, as I previously thought answer A.

Side note, if it were not for option B, no one would ever be able to turn left off 42 between shell/mcdonalds (tech dr, maybe).... it's NEVER clear and GREEN... ;)

16. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

From SafeLight Raleigh website:

What is a Violation?
    A violation has occurred when a car enters the intersection, crossing the stop bar, after the traffic signal has turned red. Two pictures will be taken of the vehicle. One is of the rear of the vehicle before it enters the intersection with the traffic signal showing the red light. This will show that the signal was red before the vehicle entered the intersection. The second is when the vehicle is in the intersection with traffic signal showing a red light. This will show that the vehicle continued into the intersection and did not try to stop just past the stop bar. A photo will not be taken if the traffic signal turns red after the vehicle is past the stop bar or if the vehicle gets stopped in the middle of the intersection.

It's called "being in control of the intersection."

B

17. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

B every time, otherwise you'd have to sit through who knows how many light cycles before there was no oncoming traffic.

18. jtm

jtm Well-Known Member

FYI, not everything you're taught in driver ed, and not everything on the driver test is actually law. They may be good ideas and best practices, but not necessarily law.

You're quoting the scenario in which a camera in Raleigh takes pictures. Even though one particular red-light camera has no problem with you blocking an intersection after the light turns red, it's still illegal (Cite). I think what you call "being in control of the intersection" is what others call "aggressive driving", among other choice words.

If you're darn sure that you'll be able to clear the intersection by the time the light turns red, it's legal to pull up into the intersection. But if there's a situation where you can't make it (ie - your light would turn red, but the opposite direction still has right-turn traffic with a protected green arrow), then you shouldn't pull into the intersection.

19. sirputz

Well ya'll better hope you're not behind me, and if you honk, i'll be reloading.

20. Clif001

Clif001 Guest