Lion's Gate Membership contract

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Pwoods, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Pwoods

Pwoods Well-Known Member

Looking for advice on how to break a contract with Lion's Gate pool/athletic club. We do not live there, but signed a 12 month contract to use the pool and gym. There is no cancellation clause, but they state that you have to pay for a full 12 months before you can cancel.

My family's lifestyle has changed so I am looking to make room in the budget (stuff happens). I asked if there is any sort of hardship clause. Their response was to either pay the rest of the contract up front or move outside of 30 miles. Both of these responses were rather insulting. My initial inquiry was to the local personnel, but also emailed the General Manager who had the same local person call me back and give me the same response.

We pay by draft to credit card. I am no attorney, but the contract itself does not have real strong cancellation language as in, "There is no reason whatsoever that allows you to cancel".

I should also mention that I was never impressed by the pool. It has lot s to do, but was always quite a bit dirtier than it should be. The gym itself is too crowded with machines and the front desk staff is, let's say a bit slow. I haven't played the I am not satisfied card yet, because I didn't think it would matter.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  2. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

so you are going to trash the pool just becuase you have a change of heart? I use to drive by that pool daily going to work and it was packed. Something must be right with it. You signed the contract and should have discussed cancelations before signing. End of discussion.

3. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Man, you can be a real jerk.

4. Pwoods

Pwoods Well-Known Member

Anything constructive would be more useful, obviously. No change of heart, it was a loss of a job hence the lifestyle change. This is a bit emotional so I didn't want to type it up front, and I had kind of hoped people might read into that instead of being insensitive. We did discuss the cancellation terms and I was okay with it then, but unforeseen circumstances can change things and I am looking for constructive ideas to help renegotiate.

I also added the comment about being unsatisfied after the fact, because I knew I would get comments like yours (sour grapes). The fact that the pool is packed is most likely the exact reason it stayed dirty. No doubt it was popular and fun, as I stated, but I was displeased with the condition it was kept in.

Anyone else?

5. ServerSnapper

You are just mad I beat you to it. Why complain if you use for the on months and now the season is over and you want out. This was about this person trashing the pool because they want out of the contract now. It's lame.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  6. ServerSnapper

You just threw that in there it was dirty and nasty so you decided not to visit the pool and grounds as a result? Or you went anyway despite the nasty conditions?

7. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

We cancelled our contract with riverwood 9 or 10 years ago by proving that what they were offering was different than what was promised when we signed the contract. For example when we signed up the offered child are until 8 on weekdays the they changed it to end at 7:30 so I could not longer take the classes I had been taking since there was no longer child care. They stopped having a lifeguard at the indoor pool and I wanted a lifeguard since I was there with two toddlers. They advertised a new pool was being built when I joined but when it was completed my kids were too young to use it. I did not have a hard time because essentially they had changes their operation after I signed the contract.

I don't know if this helps but it is what we did

8. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Your best bet is to negotiate. Explain your situation and see if you can come to something that satisfies you both. You might mention that fact that if they insist on the full amount they probably wouldn't get it anyway, even if they sued they'd end up paying legal fees which would eat into whatever award they did win.

You state that "there is no cancellation clause" and proceed to tell us that the contract states you "have to pay for a full 12 months before you can cancel". News for you, bunkie, that's a cancellation clause. You read it and signed that you agree so, legally, you're obligated.

9. Pwoods

Pwoods Well-Known Member

I complained to the lifeguard staff a number of times and eventually saw a manager come by one day and chew them out for not cleaning like they are supposed to, so I have a 'record' of being displeased. I have also used the gym on a fairly regular basis up until the point where we lost a job, so it isn't just about the off season as you so piously assumed. So I am being chastised for shifting gears to help keep food on my table by inquiring how to cancel a gym contract. I have my priorities straight.

BTW, I lurk here often (don't post much). I have seen your tirades in the political forum and see you are quite angry, especially today. Feel free to take your misplaced aggression out on me. I can take it.

10. Pwoods

Pwoods Well-Known Member

Thank you. This is quite helpful, although I fear if I can prove their services have changed (big if) I have already played my cards.

11. Pwoods

Pwoods Well-Known Member

I wondered about just not paying, but that is not in my nature. I would prefer LG work with me in some way.

As for the cancellation clause, it is worded weird. It doesn't explicitly state that you cannot cancel for any reason until end of 12 month term, but does say after 12 months it goes month to month at which time LG needs 30 days notice of cancellation. I realize this is kind of the same thing, but trust me it is worded strangely that seems to have an 'out'. My amateur legal mind cannot seem to pin down what that 'out' might be though.

12. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Not to mention illegal.

13. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Just contat Cliff, he's the bully beater around here and he could take this bully out for you.

14. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

If you mean that you beat me to being unhelpful, irrational, uninformed and outright mean...then, yes, you beat me to it...by a lot.

15. Kdog

Kdog Well-Known Member

Lost my job in 2009...I had to write a letter documenting my job loss and showed them my unemployment papers and they let us out of the contract.

16. ServerSnapper

You don't want something anymore then complain about it to justify your not wanting it anymore. That's a pity party by deifnition. If you want out of the contract stick to that don't trash it to add to the problem. It makes you look like a ******.

17. ServerSnapper

It's not illegal. She's just breaking a contract. She wont go to jail for not paying. slashing someones tire is illegal.

18. Kdog

Kdog Well-Known Member

This guy is on fire.......

19. ServerSnapper

Common sense would be call Jake over at Riverwood. He runs the whole operation for Fred Smith. He or Jules (Smith) will fix it. Talking smack about something to justify an out is just lame and lazy. It wasn't nasty or trashy when she/he was using it. It seems to be a common problem on this board to trash something when someone gets tired of using it. Have you forgotten Pizza Inn, Wendy's, etc? This follows suit to justify their cancelation is because of and in addition to "It's nasty", "It isn't clean".

20. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Signing a contract agreeing to pay and not paying is illegal. It's called fraud.