Black Friday Shopping

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by michelle, Nov 18, 2012.

1. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Are you planning to go?
    What big ticket items are you going for?
    Which stores are you going to this year?

Just curious . . .I haven't decided if I'm going or not. I've read all of the ads on bfads.net and I really don't see anything worth fighting the crowds and risking a panic attack over.

2. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

I will go, but it looks like most of the things I want are on sale Thursday night. I don't like that it gets earlier and earlier...kinda takes the fun out of it. I used to LOVE when my Aunt and I were both still in GA and would spend all day Thursday making out our strategy and then get up REALLY early on Friday and hit the stores!

Actually, TARGET has some really good coupons in today's ad; one is for something my son wants, so I wil be making may way to White Oak in just a few minutes! :lol:

3. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

May go out Black Friday just to watch all the crazies...definitely not going out Thursday and hate the stores are backing up the opening time to Thankgiving evening. At this rate, by next year people will throw a Turkey TV dinner in the microwave before heading out Thanksgiving afternoon.

4. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

No, never have and never will go out to shop on Black Friday and I think it is awful that some workers now have to work on Thanksgiving day. I realize I am in the minority, but the holiday has never been about shopping in my family. It is about food, fellowship, and being thankful (and football). I have never seen news coverage of that at a store on Black Friday. I will, however, support Small Business Saturday. We usually do not do big gifts, but rather make or buy small handmade gifts or treats among the adults in my family. I do not have small kids though, so I don't have the stress of filling the space under the tree with a surplus of toys. If I shop retail for my older kids, I do it online. The deals there are just as good and I don't have to fight the crowds.

5. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

I don't do Black Friday too much. BTW, I used to work on ALL holidays(except Christmas). When you take on a job, you pretty much know when the company is open. Truly, it's not that big of deal b/c MOST of the time, the management will work with you. Thanksgiving, if we were working, we could either go in early and be off and home w/ our families in the late afternoon, or have a lunch w/ family & go in later in the evening. It worked for everyone and no one whined about it. It's what was expected. Plus, working in the store, people would bring you all kinds of goodies b/c you had to work. We even got a whole turkey delivered one year! Yes, we worked on Thanksgiving but we still got time w/ family. Plus, I gladly would volunteer b/c it was time and a half pay. I think folks are starting to make mountains out of mole hills. Really? You REALLY didn't know Walmart was open Thanksgiving?? Like I said, I used to work holidays. You don't see all the hospital employees threatening to strike b/c they have to work. I know it's a different animal but it's a job and they know they may have to work. And, most places if you work one holiday, you don't have to work the other. When I was a manager, I would ask my employees like 2 months before a holiday, any volunteers. I never had to "forcibly" put anyone on the schedule.

As for shopping it, not so much any more. Though I don't like the fact that many stores are moving to being opened Thanksgiving evening as it does seem to take the "thrill" out of it a bit. Happy shopping everyone!

Stephanie-- mom to 10

6. Mr.X

Mr.X Well-Known Member

I personally HATE BF. All it has become is people trampling each other, vying to see how much crap they can buy that they don't need so they can purchase someone affection. It ruins the Christmas season, IMHO

7. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

I agree, Mr. X. And yes, Abdulina, I know Wal-Mart is open. It is it's own cesspool with it's own thread somewhere on here. I feel for those workers everyday, not just on holidays. I don't see how you can compare healthcare workers to retail, Abdulina, but as this is a place for each one's opinion, then okay....

8. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

:iagree:

9. Mr.X

Mr.X Well-Known Member

I don't feel bad for Wal-Mart employees, they have a job and NO ONE forced them to take it or stay.

10. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago, through the various websites that leak the BF deals, I saw that a Garmin GPS that I wanted was going to be on sale for $199, reguarly $379.00. I went and bought it earlier in the week, then on Friday night (after all the crazies went home), I took it and my receipt back to Best Buy and asked for that days sale price, and I got it. They credited my credit card for the difference.

11. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

I have only gone once in my life and said never again. It was too crazy for me. People were rude and pushy and could not even move around the store very well. First, only, and last time.

12. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I'll be shopping online, in my jammies!

13. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

14. ImTheNormal0ne

ImTheNormal0ne Well-Known Member

Well the only difference is one sells retail and other is for health reasons but in either type job you are hired knowing you may not get a holiday off. Why complain be thankful you have a job isn't that what the holiday is about? Being thankful. I have no holidays off it was of my choosing cause I just went back to work after a six week leave of absence no whining here .

15. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Me too!

16. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

I don't do it every year, but my hubby and I are going to brave the crowds this year. We want to go to Best Buy for some of the doorbuster deals. We also want to go to Target. I agree that it sucks that black "Friday" is actually starting on Thursday night now. Anyone know of any stores with a really good deal on ipads or ipad minis?

17. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

When do the black Friday ads come out? Wednesday or Thursdays paper?

18. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

ads have been out for over a week.
    http://bfads.net/

or you can go to the website of your favorite store and the 'Black Friday' ad is on their page.

19. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

always have, always will, shop online. L O V E.

20. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

gottadeal.com has had BF ads out for weeks. We're not participating in BF this year. We haven't in many, as it's just not worth it.