Deer Roast?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Nov 24, 2012.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Just wondering if there are any local hunters around here that might be interested in selling us a deer roast? Would like to have one for Christmas this year.

2. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

I would if I could hunt locally!!! I'm going to the game lands this coming week, if I get one I'll contact ya.

3. AnnetteL

Thanks!! :)

4. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

<cough> If I can interject for a second here.

WHOEVER you get your venison roast from make sure it's CLEAN / make sure you soak it in salt water overnight to kill any germs that might have been left on there. We don't take meat (especially venison) from anyone! We are EXTREMELY picky about our food and how WE prepare it for others, I can't say the same for other people out there. I'm just saying be careful who you get venison from.

<interjection over>

IF DH gets another one, I'll let you know. The others have already been processed and are in the freezer!

5. AnnetteL

Thanks for the info as well as the possible deer meat!

6. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

Never knew that about the salt water, thanks...I'm gonna have mine processed by a1 meats in clayton if I get one....just becoming to be too much work, and with a pregnant wife to help and a screaming one year old, me holding a knife wouldn't be a good combo. I'd cut my finger off this year....just keep me informed as to who gets ya one first.

7. AnnetteL

Will do,thanks!
    Btw-where I'm from you can buy all kinds of game at different booths at the local farmers/meat market,my sister usually buys from a guy they know,they either buy boar or meat from a young buck.
    Is both being hunted around here-doe and buck?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  8. harleygirl

BOTH doe & buck & it's rifle season :mrgreen:

9. AnnetteL

I guess what I should have asked is which of the two tastes better? ;-) I heard that buck is better as long as it's not rutting or too old.

10. harleygirl

FALSE

As long as it's cured, dressed and cooked properly you can't tell the difference.

11. AnnetteL

Thanks!

12. cvfdcaptain

cvfdcaptain Well-Known Member

venison hams

sent you a PM