Testing Well Water

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JMBS2005, Nov 25, 2012.

1. JMBS2005

JMBS2005 Member

It has been a long long while since the water in our well was tested. With a new baby and I thought it'd be a good idea to go ahead and get that done. Does the county offer that service, or do I need to go through a private company, and if so, does anyone have any recommendations?
    Thanks for your help, I come to this forum often and you all have some great information for someone who needs to know.

2. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

I was actually wondering the same thing lately. Hopefully someone knows a company that does it.

3. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

4. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

I don't remeber if Steve Lewter did this for us or not.. I know h e did the radon testing. He might have contacts tho to help test it for you. Phone, 919 625 8283. Tho a word of caution...we had used our well water for a bit, thinking it'll get heated enough to kill off any bacteria when we made bottles...but the iron is too much for the lil guy to handle. To be safe, pure water,gerber water, it's just a $1.00 a gallon (sometime less) and we used that and he had no problems. He just got congested but doctor couldn't figure out why. We stopped the water and went to purified and he was better. And we had a pure filter on the spiggot, but it didn't help.

Err with caution I guess

5. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

A company in Raleigh did ours. I'll have to dig up the info tonight when I get home.

6. lynkrn

lynkrn Member

well water

Call the Environmental Health Dept in Smithfield 989-5180 for information on testing well water. They have the kits so you can take your own water sample and return it to them. It is then tested and the results are sent to you in the mail.

7. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Is that a free service?

8. lynkrn

lynkrn Member

No not free. There are two tests that you can have done if you want. Last time we had both done and I believe it was under $25.00

9. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

That's a good price. I'm using them from now on! Thanks for the tip.

10. JMBS2005

JMBS2005 Member

Thanks for the info, you guys are great!