Fire Department

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Grammie, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Grammie

Grammie Well-Known Member

Just had someone come to the door saying he was collecting for the fire dept, just checking to see if this is true. I always give but due to our times I am leery of a lot. So can anyone tell me if they are out collecting? Thx in advance

2. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

Maybe call the FD during the day and ask them if it's legit.

I don't usually give to anyone who solicits donations door-to-door or via phone call, while they may be legit and actually hired by the group they are representing, too many of these professional fundraisers take too much of the $$$ they collect. I much prefer to give directly to the group.

3. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

I don't think most Fire Departments solicit door to door. Of course, I could be wrong... :?

4. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I Live over in South Plantation and it seams yearly that some guy shows up collecting for the Fire station near DR Wells

5. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Are you sure it was the fire department? EMS does solicit door to door for donations that will pay for EMS service if you need it.

6. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

The volunteer FD's will often go door to door and collect donations. They sell family portraits. They will also leave a small sticker on your mailbox so they know they have been to your house, which I have never really cared for. I don't give to door to door solicitors, especially in the evening.

7. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

They are the one and only funding group I will gladly welcome at my door. It's unbelievable what this local service provides, with the budget they get. They need to post a donation thread on here each year reminding us all of what they really do for us. This thread reminded me I'm due to give them a donation.

8. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

I hope that CFD will stick to soliciting in their own fire district this year, and not in the Wilsons Mills district.

9. cvfdcaptain

cvfdcaptain Well-Known Member

Ill explain it again,,,,

We The Cleveland Volunteer Firefighters Association of Johnston County are once again using Summit Productions as our ANNUAL fundraiser,HOWEVER, due the never ending problems we have with them all, this is the last year of the photo drive. Now the money that is collected goes to the association,, NOT THE FIRE DEPARTMENT!!! Your fire tax that you pay is what keeps the FIRE DEPARTMENT going. We (the association) in turn uses this money to provide scholarships at CHS ( CLEVELAND HS) our annual angel tree drive and other local charities. NO TAX MONEY is used for ANY of these projects, If you need more info on this, please do a search as this gets brought up every year. and as for them going into Wilsons Mills tax district,,We apologize and we provide them with maps of our fire tax district. Any other questions please call the station, 919-989-1909, or you can call me and ill be glad to address any concerns you may have,, District Chief J.D. Howell

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  10. cvfdcaptain

we are CVFD,,,,, not CFD If you donated and would like a refund, just let us know

11. Grammie

I have always given to them I don't get the pics done cause I can't get the family together for it. I wasn't sure plus I just had surgery couldn't focus to good. Can we come down to the station and give money when I am able to drive and get out?

12. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

So did I read this right? This is the last year for the pictures? I would have to say that most years we like to donate and the pictures usually come out great, Sometimes priceless! We had the guys come around today and I was unprepared, Is it ok to come by the firehouse and donate?

13. cvfdcaptain

We will no longer be using summit or superior productions. It seems that the complaints are more and more every year, no matter what rules we give them, We are looking into using a professional photographer and doing a mailer, that way those that want to participate can fill it out and send it to them to schedule a sitting. That way hopefully we can cut out all complaints and discomforts. We are also looking into different fundraisers that the community will enjoy, BBQ dinner, breakfast or something along those lines. If anyone has any suggestions on what yall would like to see, please feel free to let us know! And as for stopping by the station to make a donation, feel free to stop in anytime!!!

14. Grammie

Thank you for the info. As soon as I am cleared by doctor I will be down. Have a great day.

15. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

yall should do a 5k

:jester:

16. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

Just don't shut down joesephine rd..lol. seriously though, why can't you guys do a cash bash, a gun bash, bingo or some other types of fundraising. I bet a weekly or even biweekly bingo would do great around here. I know of one vfd that every year sells tickets (10.00 a piece) for a car. They do this 3 or 4 times a year. Always a hit.

17. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

There is great money in a 5k, when done correctly! But great suggestions, might have to keep some of these in mind for our side of the neighborhood!

Thanks

18. cvfdcaptain

Aint yall on that side of the river got enough money already?????

19. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

Where I come from all the local VFD'S help support each other when anyone has a fundraiser. Sometimes they work the tables or kitchen so the host members can be more visible. I'd support any local bingo or bashes I could afford. Also its a form of jobs for the youth.

20. pcroom

pcroom Well-Known Member

We give every year! Same guy has been here for two or three years! I offer him candy and he never refuses. Heck of a nice guy. Pat