where do you buy beef?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by barney726, Dec 9, 2012.

1. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

have been buying our beef at clayton food town for years. they had very good rib eyes. now this is compare foods. bought rib eyes yesterday. not good. i believe they have canadian beef.
    any recommendations for good quality beef?

2. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

DR Wells on Cleveland School Road, near the fire dept. I've always gotten great ribeyes from them.

3. Copperhead

Copperhead Member

4. mingomama

mingomama Well-Known Member

Yes

D r wells

5. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

We've always gotten beef that will be the star of the show from Carlie C's IGA. My dad was a beef farmer from Iowa and I'm a beef snob and it is the best we can find so far.

I tried DR Wells once, and it was good.

6. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Carlie C's has a new store in Garner in the same shopping center as Belks.

7. kris904

kris904 Guest

The meat house in Cary or North Raleigh.
    Never had a problem with Bj's either.

8. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I am sorry, but swapping Milwaukee out for Raleigh and Cary and it sounds like a conversation I had in the late 70's.

9. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Always been partial to BJ's, myself.

10. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

+1....LOL

11. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I was just waiting to see who would jump on it first :lol:

12. CraigSPL

13. pcroom

pcroom Well-Known Member

Do they have good fresh small chickens? Since Food Town in Clayton was bought out we cannot find decent chicken. Tried Carley C's and they were GROSS! Got any suggestions? Thanks, Pat

14. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

We have purchased a lot of meats from BJ's and have never gotten anything that wasnt really good. They will even cut meats for you. When they have a nice pork loin we get it sliced up into pork chops. bought their whole chickens too..good.

15. PoohBear

PoohBear Well-Known Member

Their rib eye steaks are really thick in the display case. Will they cut 2-4 rib eye steaks thinner for you or only when you purchase a whole rib?

16. CraigSPL

Honestly I don't know about their chickens as I don't really cook alot of chicken. More of a pork and beef person.

17. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

I usually get my beef and pork from a real butcher here in MB. There is a great one in Fayetteville too. There use to be one there in JC. Is it gone?

18. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

yes bj's will cut any meats to your specifications. you can call them and place your order and they will cut the meats to your liking. we started using bj's over the holidays and have been very pleased with their beef. especially their rib eyes.

19. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

YES! They do have good fresh small chickens at Town Market. We have four folks to feed and usually get two cut up chickens ($2-4 each) to grill out and it all gets eaten up. They have cut up, halves, or whole and the butcher will halve it for you if you ask. They also have fresh pork and the best angus beef. Pine Level is my hometown and I still drive from Clayton every couple of Saturdays with a cooler to stock up. Nice small store with excellent customer service (they empty your cart, bag your groceries, and load your car).

To go with your chicken, check out the last isle on the left. They have ziplock bagged field peas, tiny baby limas (butterbeans), and cooked collards among other veggies.

20. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

SS, I have heard about the Fayetteville butcher shop but I heard he was only open for a few months out of the year. Do you purchase from him? We tried Whole Foods a couple of weeks ago and got their hamburger and it honestly was some of the best hamburger meat I have had in a long long time. It was a little bit more than FL or the others, but it has no hormones or antibiotics and the little bit more in price was well worth the delicious taste. I just hate having to go all the way into Raleigh for beef...