Need help with amplifier

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by sdw714, Dec 10, 2012.

1. sdw714

sdw714 Well-Known Member

Need help trying to determine the size amplifier I need to buy. The amp will be installed with 2 Pioneer TS-W302R 800-watt max 12 inch subwoofers in enclosure. Specifications for each speaker is - - RMS Output Power: 150 w ..... PMPO Output power: 800 w ..... Minimum frequency response 20 Hz .... Maximum frequency response 4 kHz .... Impedance: 4 Ohm Just don’t know how to convert that into what size amp I need. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  2. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Do you have a brand preference? Also what type of headunit will be feeding said amp and what type of musical preference do you have?

3. sdw714

sdw714 Well-Known Member

No brand preference. I was trying to find one on Walmart.com since I had available credit there. There's several brands. She listens to a variety of music - mostly rock. It will be in a 2011 chevrolet impala - factory radio. I'm not sure what it is. Never paid it much attention.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  4. CraigSPL

then you will want an amp that will either accept speaker level inputs or will need an adaptor to convert speaker level to rca level inputs and if you get a full range amplifier make sure that it has a low pass filter setting. if you purchase and use a two channel amplifer make I would get something that had between 100-125 watts RMS per channel and use each channel to power one sub. If you wish to use to use the two channels combined into one (stereo to mono) you need to make sure that you get an amp that is stable to 2 ohms mono assuming you wire the speaker box to operate as such.

5. sdw714

sdw714 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your help!!

6. CraigSPL

Hope I didn't confuse you too much.

7. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Soundstream - Rubicon. I run this in my Crossfire. Extremely strong. I ran an alpine before but I just didn't get the high current I needed to push my sub. This is a wonderful amp for the money also. It is running about 150 on Ebay. Just a suggestion. In my front doors I am running polk audio seperates with a seperate crossover and in the back I am running a single 12 pioneer elite sub with a sealed box. That connection is also bridged. I can tell you it moved my hair and clothes on a good song and my wifes hair that has all kinds of stuff to make it still vibrate. Love this little amp. It's very strong and very clean.

Here are the specs.

http://www.soundstream.com/html/amps-rubicon.html

I have the RUB 4.600

On ebay I paid 150.00 with free shipping. But If you plan on running this amp strong for an extended amount of time you will need to buy a cap to put in line for cintunuous power. I enjoy this amp. It's stong and I can bridge two channels while the other two channels run normal. That is unusual.

8. CraigSPL

Not as unusual as you would think (thought it was pretty common myself). All three of my multichannel amps have that ability.

9. ServerSnapper

Not when you are running the normal channel 4 ohm and the bridged channel 2ohm.

10. CraigSPL

Any amp that is "high current" should be able to support that without any issues

Although technically by the specs. of the amp you listed that you are using it is capable of either 4 ohm or 2 ohm stereo and only 4 ohm mono (bridging 2 of the 4 channels together) And if it is truely hooked up in such a manner as you listed (assuming channels 1 and 2 running stereo full range into the passive crossovers for the Polk seperates at 4 ohms per channel and channels 3 and 4 bridged mono using the built in low pass filter wired to provide a 2 ohm load to the amp) as soon as power was turned on the first time the warranty would have been voided.

11. ServerSnapper

I paid 150 for the amp.....I don't care about the warranty. It sounds GOOOD. I did have to buy a cap to put in line due to the power draw kicks on the protection circuit. But since adding the cap for constant power I am good. It hits so har and sounds amazing.