vehicle question

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by God'schild, Dec 13, 2012.

1. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

I have looked on Craigslist and on 4042 classifieds. My oldest son is looking for a vehicle. He would like a truck but will be ok with a car. Just needs one with fairly lower miles and no more than a V-6 engine. He starts school in January and needs the transportation. He has cash to pay for it and can't go over $4100. I ask you all because I find that better results are found here than on the classifieds.

I told him that I always thought that the IDEAL situation was to find an elderly person or couple that has a vehicle that they never drive anymore and would like to sell. They are usually VERY clean and taken care of. A coworker of mine's father found a deal like that for her a few years back.

So I thought maybe if anyone here had a vehicle or new of one somewhere or had a "friend of a friend of a friend" type situation???

Thanks in advance!! :) smmmoooooches!

2. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Hmmm, lemme think ... I know dad's selling his Chevy Z71 truck but it's a V8 & $5k ... think, think, think...

3. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

I have an idea. It will only cost him $4,100.

I know if you go to Matthews Motors you will probably find a good trade in.

4. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Anything traded in, in that price range (retail), the sucker was probably given $2000-$2500 trade-in value and it was probably traded in for a reason. Doesn't sound like he has alot of extra money to sink into repairs on someone elses problem.

I understand what the OP was meaning by buying a car from an older couple that might be downsizing. More likely to find a car that was well cared for and in nice condition.

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Personally, I would be leery of a car that has sat parked a lot.

We have more issues with our truck that spends most of it's time parked than we do the daily drivers.

Carfax and a run through by a trusted mechanic should help.

We just saw an 02 5-speed Ford Escape on CL a few days ago that only had 83,000 miles on it for $3500. Had it not been red, I would have gone to see it. Already looking for DS a car to have in a couple years.

6. God'schild

Thanks everyone! This will be his first vehicle. Someone just mentioned to me here at work that the "POV lot" on Fort Bragg was a good place too...... Soldiers leaving and can't take the vehicle or deploying..... Anyone here had any experience with that or know of anyone?

7. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Sorry but unless you are active duty you will not have access to that. I have a buddy who is but is currently deployed. Doubt he will be back before your needs are met.

8. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

9. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I know of one place I would never recommend. The place I bought my vehicle from.

10. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I usually go with Craigslist for cheap used vehicles, but you really have to be on your toes. Good inexpensive cars go fast around here, bad inexpensive cars are plentiful. Good, honest people like you mentioned are out there, but there are plenty of crooks. Referrals are a good idea. Be careful. You can get more for your money, but if you dont have experience with cars or if you arent comfortable meeting with strangers you should probably go the dealer route.

Stick with a reputable dealer. Someone mentioned Steve Mathews, his cars tend to be priced on the high side, but he will stand behind them. Thats a good place to start.

11. God'schild

Thanks alot!!!! And thanks to all as well! I will keep you posted. He is going with a mechanic he knows today to look at one in Fayetteville.

12. dietz4ibanez

dietz4ibanez Well-Known Member

I would like to suggest Knox auto sales in Raleigh. I've known them for years and purchased a few vehicles from the myself. They have a lot downtown close to Glenwood about a mile from 5 points and another at Capitol and Brentwood.

Jeff Knox is normally at the downtown location and Christian Knox(son) runs the other location.

You can check their inventory at:

WWW.knoxautosalesinc.com

Tell them Brian Dietz sent you!

13. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

check the "Angier, Benson, Willow Spring, Coats Buy-Sell-Trade" group on Facebook. Someone there is selling this:

‎1997 Chevy S10 shortbed , reg cab truck for sale. 4 cyclinder 5 speed. Great gas saver, runs great. Tires are good, Am/Fm cass radio. has low miles / 102,774 original miles . Clear title , ready to sell ! $ 2900 OBO

Don't reply to me- I have no affiliation. If you can't find it on FB, post back here or PM me your contact info and I'll be glad to pass it on to the seller.

14. RealityWorkouts

RealityWorkouts Well-Known Member

I'd recommend G&R Motors, intersection of Hwy 42 & Hwy 50.

http://www.GR-MotorCompany.com

772-4200

Mike Bierman is a former client of mine, and Steve Hill is in my networking group.

I bought a car for my wife from them in October, and we've been very pleased with it. If they don't have anything on the lot, Steve will find something for you, his specialty is car location.

15. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

I bought my truck from the guy next to Ken's Korny Korn maze and I'm happy with the deal I got. Let me take it to my mechanic to get checked out, would let me have it for 3 days to test it out, and then if I didn't want it, no harm, no foul.

And it's been running great since I bought it other than the problems that are known problems that he couldn't do anything about.

Check em out, and you can wheel and deal a lil bit.