Prior Military,,,,Come inside. I have some questions..

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ServerSnapper, Dec 17, 2012.

1. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

While we are taught to kill during battle a switch goes on. Did any of you ever get taught to turn that switch off after battle? I have some friends who are suffering from PTSD and I just don't know what to say to them. I love them all. But I also lost my father due to issues from Vietnam in the likeness of alcohol to deal with first hand experiences from battle and loss.

I wish I could just tell them how to turn it off. I personally haven't had issues yet with PTSD and from what I have seen and heard I hope I never do. For me I just felt the recoil.

2. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

While I have not suffered from PTSD (that I am aware of) I think that part of the disconnect exists or comes from the fact that some people do not see it as a job and have trouble disconnecting themselves from it after it's done and over with.

The way I have looked at most of my carreer choices is that everything I choose to do is a job. In the case of my military time, my job was to defend this country which included the possibility of killing someone or being killed b someone. It is a risk of the job I signed up for.

When I worked at the Prison as a CO, I signed up for a job that included the possibility of having to shoot and kill an escaping inmate, if put in the situation.

And I think that part of the problems stem from not being able to let go of the "job" when the "job" is done due to some things that people may have done/seen/partaken of while on the "job"

Perfect example was when I worked at the prison it was hard to let go of the job as you never knew when you might run into someone on the outside from the inside that would want to get back at you just because you were a CO, and when I departed that job my life and stress level greatly improved and the people around me could tell it visably.

But in the end it was just a job that I needed to let go of once done with it.

3. 26.2

26.2 Well-Known Member

When I left the military, I walked away just like a job that ends. Left and moved on with a new life. Proud of my accomplishements in the military, but I had a total disconnect after.

4. ServerSnapper

Thanks guys and thank you for your service.

5. 26.2

26.2 Well-Known Member

You as well. And when people say "thank you for your service" I always tell them it was my honor to serve. Pretty sure most don't understand.

6. ServerSnapper

I don't think they can conceptualize what we have gone through to secure the freedoms they take advantage of every single day. Honor is a wonderful word. Every now and then I will go try on my dress blues. Honor is a wonderful word. I know myself I am honored to be one of the few...the proud...A marine. I will always be a marine. I love that word. Honor. Right in line with integrity, Loyalty, and respect. Great word "Honor". Thanks for the post and a boost in my shoulders this morning.

7. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

What's going on with today's troops cannot even be remotely compared to what went on during the Vietnam conflict.

We had over 58000 troops killed in Vietnam! In jungle warfare the rules of engagement were fairly simple. If it moved, shoot it! When troops returned to the states they were given basically nothing to help them disconnect. It was made even worse by the acts of people like William Calley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Calley) and William Woodrige (http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...UotAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Tp8FAAAAIBAJ&pg=4263,4587727). Returning Vietnam vets were either viewed as baby killers or crooks! I was personally spit on once, only once though.

Afghanistan is a totally different animal. These poor soldiers are placed under such restrictions by the rules of engagement that in a lot of cases their hands are completely tied. There is no comparison between urban and gorilla warfare other than the dying involved. These poor troops live and die by a split second decision! Do I shoot? Will my actions be covered by the ROE? Are there any civilians possibly in the field of fire? While we had sappers and suicide bombers during Vietnam, nothing compares to our current conflict.

How we treat our returning troops today is much improved from Vietnam. They are thanked by most, which they deserve to be. They are given intense counseling and help in returning to civilian life. They are given job training to help in the transition. I could go on and on about what they are given to help them succeed in the transition back to civilian life but the fact remains that to a certain few, it will never end.

Must have something to do with how some people are wired compared to others. All I know for sure is that with all that is committed for the transition back to civilian life, there is still something that is missing. Don't know what the other services rates are but the suicide rates in today's Army are at all time highs!

It doesn't help when you read articles like in this weeks Army Times: Congresswoman-elect faces VA frustration. Article explains her frustration in getting her benefits straightened out including one call where she was put on hold for 57 minutes! What should have been something easy to fix took her five days and numerous calls. Can you imagine how the ordinary returning vet is handled when they have a problem?

Some good news for our troops is contained in another article this week: Preparing troops for the job wars. Says that returning vets will be required to attend what the Army considers to be a 3 day classroom of reverse boot camp. Will show them how to complete a resume, file for GI benefits and preparing a projected budget for their next 12 months.

Sorry for such a long winded post but this subject is very near and dear to me being a retired army officer. I'm sure there is more that can be done for our troops but the fact remains there will continue to be cases of PTSD as long as we send our children to war. Ben going on since the beginning of time and will continue to go on IMO. One other article in this weeks Army Times was titled: Ingredient in Ecstasy may help treat PTSD, study says when used with talk therapy! They continue to grasp at straws for a cure that will never go away until we eliminate armed conflicts and we all know that's never gonna happen.

8. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

I don't have PTSD but some of my kids do. Unfortunately, it can not be "turned off" though I understand what you mean by that. PTSD can be an ugly monster waiting to come out. Most folks try to keep it buried but it will rear its ugly head at times when you least expect it. The people living w/ it feel guilty though they should not. It is usually from a traumatic event. Most my kids have suffered some pretty horrible past traumas. A trigger will set them off. Something they see. For one of mine, gun shots. It's hard living w/ this disorder. The best thing to do is not to try to understand it. I know that sounds odd but it is something you must live w/ to understand it a bit.

I think the best thing you can do is just be there for your friend. Take him out to a lunch. No crowded places though as his triggers could be anything if he was over there. My dad was a Marine for 28 years. My brother served as well. Friendship and time are what your fellow friends need. How about order a pizza or something simple like grilling out and watch a game. Not sure what sports your friends are into but basketball season is coming around the corner. With PTSD, especially if recently home, keep it very, very simple. It is just as hard for them as it is for you. Trust me on that one. I wish you all the best and truly thank you for not running away from them but trying to help them instead. People w/PTSD tend to feel all alone.

Take care,

Stephanie-- mom to 10

9. Clif002

Clif002 Guest

May God bless them with the ability to never have to.

I suppose it is better than being a seaman. :) On the other hand, while at boot camp at Nimitz Isle, we'd all be behind the barracks smoking and relaxing and watch the Marines all roped together while they ran around their base lap after lap after lap (followed by an ambulance just in case). Thanks for being the source of our bemusement. :)

(It also made me glad I joined the Navy 'cause I sure as 7734 wouldn't have been able to make it through Marine boot)

10. Wolfpack_CE

Wolfpack_CE Well-Known Member

I have PTSD, and I'm getting help through the Durham VA. I recently had a tremendously hard battle with my heart that put me in the hospital for a month. I have tried to hide and bury what I went though over in the middle east. The stress will show its ugly face and when I got older it got worse. I'm very thankful for the soldiers who fought before me. My dad was a Vietnam vet and he didn't like talking about it much. When I got back from Saudi, there wasn't much dialog between us. I don't know if it was out of respect or not trying to trigger anything we saw.

Please tell your friend or loved one that there is help as long as they are ready. It took me over 20+ years to ask for help. I lost a very close friend because of my violent outburst and physical violence. I do want to thank her for saving my life. I have taken baby steps for a life of longevity and happiness. The Durham VA has great opportunities to take advantage of.

11. ServerSnapper

God Bless you. I think it respect. Obviously your father knows war. Semper Fi.

12. ServerSnapper

Thank you SIR for the words of wisdom and the knowledge transferred.

13. ServerSnapper

The PT is still top of the line. Glad we entertain our transportation. :)

14. Wolfpack_CE

Wolfpack_CE Well-Known Member

Thank you for your blessing Server Snapper but furthermore, thank you for sacrifice in defending our freedoms.

15. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

That's funny .. it brought back a good memory.

When I came back and was getting off of the ship in San Diego I handed the Chief at the gangplank a dollar. He asked me what it was for? I told him it's a tip for the ride home. :lol:

When I got out in the early 70's it was mandatory that you attend a discharge class. Even though the instructor tried, the room full of 10' tall and bullet proof Marines that survived a war were short timers and didn't care to hear it. I didn't have a hard time getting back into the civilian swing. Save the memory but make better ones to remember with the life that was spared.

16. ServerSnapper

Roger that

17. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

PTSD can affect people in war and even other stressful situations. It can cause memory loss which mean that the bad memories are disconnected from their reasons. Perhaps reminding them that they did as ordered and served their country well. When they are going through hard times, I would allow a good cry or an hour of sadness, then go out and do something fun. Or just enjoy some football and tools or whatever is it guys do. I would try to avoid drinking and any thing else, because that too is just another way of shoving problems aside that will still be there in the morning.
    As was said, the VA can help and there are other vet groups out there too. Good luck! Those guys are lucky to have you as a friend to care.