Need someone to crawl under house....

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ncmomtothree, Dec 19, 2012.

1. ncmomtothree

ncmomtothree Well-Known Member

I need someone to go under the house and see if any of the ducts have holes or tears. Think I might be losing some heat under there. While they are there I would like to have them look around for holes around pipes etc. and close them up. Caught a mouse this week! Would a HVAC guy do this? Handyman? Thanks for the help and recommendations!

2. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

HVAC technicians will do this as well as inspect your system for anywhere between $75 and $200 depending on who you go with.

3. weh1998

weh1998 Well-Known Member

Call Rob Matthews Heating & Air 919-795-7933. Will be honest with you and not try to take advantage, honest and will be glad to help you out.

4. Resident

Resident Well-Known Member

I like Biggs HVAC. They've always been quick, very nice, and I think reasonably priced. Their # is 919-329-8288.

5. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

NCMom...check your pms. I have someone who can do that for you cheaply.

6. Quincy8Boy

Quincy8Boy Well-Known Member

I had this done after I had a mouse chew through, get in the house, and had insulation blowing out of a couple ducts. They charged me over a hundred, said they couldn't find any holes, and that the amount of air lost would be so insignificant that it wasn't worth it.

Another HVAC guy came to change the capacitor and he said they charged me too much, but they were right about the insignificance of a mouse hole. He said since my house was about 10 years old, when the HVAC unit went I would have to replace the duct work anyway because it wouldn't meet code anymore.

7. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I have a mouse in the house also. It likes crackers and tostitos :? (the junk food drawer)

8. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

I had my unit replaced but not the duct work? Didn't know they go hand in hand. But I had some insulation blowing thru a vent also. Catch mice here and there. Guess I should have my duct work inspected in the future :)

9. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Previous owner of my current home just had snakes to take care of the issue.

Huge snake skin in the drawer under the stove and another huge snake skin on the fire place mantle. You do not want to know what was under the house.

Farm cats working on the outside.

10. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

I got rid of my field mouse right quick...I do not want a snake in the house. Kinda tough to keep mice out when the plowed the field but I got'em! I think mine liked the dog food.....lol

11. ncmomtothree

ncmomtothree Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the suggestions and help. Haven't called anyone yet-flu has struck!