veterinarian

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by NYtoNC, Dec 26, 2012.

1. NYtoNC

NYtoNC New Member

I'm relatively new to the area, and need a vet. I was waiting until after the holiday to do the first regular exam, next set of shots, etc., but the kitten says otherwise today.

The "Ranch" looks absolutely beautiful, but I'm sure the overhead is reflected in the prices... anyone have a suggestion for a good solid vet with reasonable prices? This should be a simple one. (fingers crossed) Kitten was pretty stressed with the holiday masses, and had a little blood in her urine. Hopefully just a uti, and not a $250 visit + labs. Thanks for any suggestions.

Update - I assumed that the old posts from a couple of years ago were still good. Going w/Clayton Animal Hospital. So far so good, got me in at 10 am, and told me about the coupon on their website.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

They aren't the cheapest, but sometimes you get what you pay for. I love Dr. Barzola there. She's been awesome with one of my dogs and a chronic condition. Good luck to your kitty.

3. bulldog

bulldog Member

Cleveland School Animal Hospital, Dr. Debbie Basden and staff...very good...located right at I-40/Hwy 42 interchange.

4. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I agree with Clayton Animal Hospital. They are def NOT the cheapest around but you would be hard-pressed to find a staff of Vets more loving and caring. I called and asked for the clinic manager this morning b/c my oldest furry baby passed away in her sleep this morning and when hubby and I arrived at the clinic with her, we were met with open arms, hugs, and tears. I will gladly pay a little more for the quality of care my babies receive there.

5. fionna68

fionna68 Active Member

Carolina Crossings

Carolina Crossings has been great for my babies!

6. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

SO how did your
    Kitten make out? ......

asked another NY to NC-er...lol

7. FLai

FLai Active Member

8. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

We use Purr and Bark Mobile Vet for all of our animals, and having 5-6 at a time to take care of it is much easier to have Dr. Regina come to us.

http://www.purrandbarkvet.com/

9. jlc007

jlc007 Well-Known Member

Craig,
    How does Purr and Bark compare price wise to other vets you have tried? I'm considering trying it but was afraid it would be much more expensive in the long run. Have you been customers for very long? Our dogs need quite a few shots and one needs to be neutered.
    Thanks very much. :)

10. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

If you are looking for a budget priced neuter, check with SNAP for the neutering. I think they will also give discounted Rabies shots when they do the neutering if rabies booster is needed. 919-783-SNAP (7627) or 919-553-1705

More SNAP info:
    Dog Spay/Neuter - Includes Rabies, Distemper/Parvo vaccine & pain injection
    8 to 59 lbs: $100
    60 to 99 lbs: $125
    100 to 149 lbs: $150
    150 lbs and up: Varies by patient

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  11. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

We have been using Dr. Regina for about 10 years, since before she opened her own mobile vet service, she used to be at Magnolia Animal Hospital on Capital Blvd. @ the 401 split. She charges us a flat $50 trip charge to come to Johnston County, she is centered in the North Raleigh area and I think her regular trip charge is $35, but to us its worth it because we have used her for so long and really trust her with our babies. Its also less stress on everyone, animals and us, than having to pack them up to go to the vet, we had 7 cats and a dog at the height of our # of pets. I do agree there are probably less expensive options for a spay/neuter, such as SNAP-NC, or a SPCA voucher. But all her other prices are reasonable, and she knows we do the best we can by our pets and doesn't push services or drugs on us that aren't necessary. She is great when it comes to rabies and vaccines, my neighbor also uses her, and if we can coordinate it for her to come on the same day for both of us, she splits the trip charge between us. She also does work with a couple of Raleigh foster and rescue groups. She is very caring and compassionate and we just love her.

-Craigs wife :)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  12. jlc007

jlc007 Well-Known Member

Tassy....i appreciate all the good info...i left her a message last night and hopefully her prices will be in line with our budget. Not having to make that trip to the vet with two dogs would be great....can't imagine how you did it with your gang!

Also, Thank you Jean...I'll give them a call too ;)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  13. shawk22

shawk22 Well-Known Member

We have been using Stage Rd. Animal Hospital for years now and could not be happier with them.

14. jlc007

jlc007 Well-Known Member

Still comparing price quotes on shots for both dogs and neutering costs.
    Will update once I have them all ....lol.
    Thanks for all the help 42ers ...y'all rock 8)

15. 4ME2KNOW

4ME2KNOW Well-Known Member

PirateGirl....I am so sorry for the loss of your furry baby!!

We took our dog to Harmony Animal Hospital all the way out on Ten Ten Rd in Apex. When we had no choice but to but our dog down, they were the most caring people I had even known! Unbeknownst to us, they took our furry boy to another room to make a keepsake paw print in clay with his name and everything. After he drifted off to sleep in our arms they presented us with this gift free of charge. I have heard of some vets charging for those types of keepsakes.
    I'll pay a little more for a Vet with good bedside manner any day! It matters!

16. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

7 years ago almost exactly to this day, we had to take our beloved 14 yr old cocker spaniel to be sent off to the rainbow bridge. Our vet cried with us, and allowed me to be there holding her throughout the whole thing. It was the hardest thing I've ever done, but after, our vet also surprised us with the paw print and a lock of the hair from her ear, which I still have. The next day, flowers and a sympathy card were also delivered from our vet. She knew this was the loss of a family member and I felt she was mourning with me. I'll pay anything to have a vet like that!

17. JCoRes

JCoRes Well-Known Member

One more to google for info on .. Dr. Sara Lash. She is a mobile vet that comes to your home and been in the business for Years.

Good luck

18. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I've met her before, and didn't get "warm and fuzzies" from her.... she was kind of cold. Tried to make me feel like I was going to be the worst pet mother of the year for not getting dentals done on all my cats. :?

19. JCoRes

JCoRes Well-Known Member

Yep - Lash is either a "you like her" or don't type situation. She can come across making one feel such but I've had other vets do the same ... so yeah I get whatcha mean Tassy

I just like the fact that she comes to the house instead of my having to load up 3 60+ lbs each of dogs .. one who LOVES car rides, one who goes into zombie mode trying to decide if she likes cars but won't look at anyone and then the 3rd one who is so nervous and drools so badly that someone could mop the whole interior of my car with her droolings :oops:

So having a home vet and then getting them to do what needs to be done and out my door is a great thing ... more comfortable for the dogs and me to wait at home then in a vet lobby/room.

JMO ..... and also - with a side note to all newbie furbie parents & some existing ones:

No matter who you use as a vet for your 4legged babies, please be sure to SPAY/NEUTER your pets. No reason Not to (unless vet deems medically unsafe for them which are rare cases)

20. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I understand that too, thats why we love Purr and Bark Mobile vet with Dr. Regina Sanders. Even though we pay an extra $15 on the trip charge, its worth every penny to us not to have to pack everyone up for the trip to the vet office.