Best place to buy new tires?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, May 11, 2012.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

It's time to buy some new tires for our F-250,any recommendations?
    Thanks in advance!

2. JayT

JayT Well-Known Member

Tri-County! Phillip and crew will take care of you there! 2nd choice would probably be Cleveland Complete Car Care (formerly Supreme Tire and Lube)... Word is that the new owner is great!

(FWIW, I love the Cooper Discoverer ATs that I got from TriCounty on my Powerstroke Excursion)

3. RealityWorkouts

RealityWorkouts Well-Known Member

2nd for TriCounty Tire. Philip and crew have taken care of our vehicles for the last 2yrs.

4. jennandchad

jennandchad Active Member

Just Tires had the best price

We got tires last week and they had the best deal going, 120 rebate if you use their good year card. That's pretty big savings that nobody could match. Got in and out and they do free lifetime rotation.

5. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone!!

6. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

Where is that? I need tires from my Explorer

7. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

We always buy tires at Just Tires or BJ's. Sometimes BJ's has a good rebate program going on.

8. Bubba

Bubba Well-Known Member

Evans Tire Service in Smithfield, I have been buying my tires from them for over 25 years.
    Excellant tire service and mechanics. Service after the sale

9. lawnboy

lawnboy Well-Known Member

Anyone buying tires anywhere other than BJs/Just Tires/Discount Tire is a fool or has too much money, one or the other.

Discount Tire is my fav going on 7 years now. You will find their prices to match tirerack.com (and if they don't, ask them, and they will), and you get free lifetime rotation and balancing on the car you bought them for, and free rotation on any car you own, regardless of where you bought tires for it.

You will notice many of the smaller shops offering free rotations/etc now, all because Discount Tire started it years ago, and the other guys are losing business.

And oh yeah, buy Michelins. I've owned them all. If you want a cheap tire, be prepared to replace it in 15k. I've never had a Michelin that let me down. And get an alignment after new tires, and make sure you rotate every 5k, and check your pressure at least every 2 weeks.

High-quality tires (Michelin) + common sense (correct pressure, rotate at 5k) = 30,40, 50k comfortable, well-performing miles for less money invested than suffering through cheap, crappy tires every 15-20k.

And while I'm on my soapbox, all you SUV drivers who I see hauling *** down 40, at 80mph, with 10PSI in 2 of your 4 tires, visibly deflated, I have no sympathy when you flip and get ejected.

10. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I got Uniroyal Laredos at Merchant Tire in Garner. Best price of the regular places (Discount/Just Tires/Pep Boys/etc). They were rated for 60,000 miles. By taking the above advice (rotate and balance every oil change, align every 12 - 15,000 miles, proper air pressure etc) and I have got 92,000 on them now. They wont make 95,000.

Best price so far is Cooper Tires at Discount Tire. Still want to check the place listed above at 50/42 and the one by Don Lee's.

11. OTH1

OTH1 New Member

Costco or Sams Club for Tires

I have buying tires for my (4) cars at Costco for years.
    Sam's club is good as well.

BJ's is Ok, but the place is not 'as' customer friendly and the warranty is not as good (making a claim)
    I have a membership to Costco and BJs.

The main reason for going to Costco is price, mileage warranty and service.

- I don't get nickle-and-dimed to death, when I go back for my mileage warranty.

Example:
    On my suburban, the BFGoodrich 60,000 mile tires lasted 30,000 miles.
    I went back, I got credited HALF of what I paid and did NOT have to pay the $15 (per tire install fee) on the next set.
    - All my other cars I use Michelin tires

Costco does have a $55 (membership fee) but I shop there anyway.

Costco has a $70 (instant rebate) on Michelin Tires, until 3-3-2013.

You can go online at Costco.com and see if they have the tires for your car,
    you can order the tires yourself, and pay with a Credit Card. (MC, Visa, AMEX,)

However, inside the store, Costco only excepts, AMEX, Cash, Check, and Debit Cards for any purchases) [no MC or Visa in store]

(I would check at www.samsclub.com as well)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  12. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

The first place I would check is www.tirerack.com

When I compared prices for mine I was amazed. Using tirerack the tires can either be delivered to your installer of choice (they provide list of installers) or to your home.

Just comparing prices for my vehicle I can save over $100 on each tire if I buy from tirerack and have them shipped to Just Tires for installation and that's including the JT cost for installation rather than buying them directly JT.

At the very least I would use them for comparison shopping.

13. lawnboy

lawnboy Well-Known Member

And then you pay for your own rotations and balancing, and even if you do your own rotations, you're going to pay $40+ to balance every 10k or so. That's $200 extra you could have saved over 50k if you'd bought the tires from Discount Tire, had them match the overall price from Tirerack (don't forget, you will pay $50 for shipping from Tirerack that you won't pay from Dscount Tire, although you will pay sales tax.

Tirerack looks good, and I bought a couple sets online years ago before I figured out that having DT match their overall price, shipped, was a better deal due to the free rotations and balances

14. lgb0250

Goodyear Eagle RS-A P245/50R20 from DT for a set of 4 comes out to $699 out the door.

TireRack price for the same tire is $652 shipped to and installed by NTB to include valve stems, disposal fee and TPMS service. Price also includes lifetime rotation & balance.

Not much of a difference but every penny counts for some. In all fairness it looks like the price difference is because of not having to pay sales tax on tirerack purchases. Obviously the higher priced the tire the bigger the savings from tirerack.

15. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

I also found discount tire to be the best deal easily out there a couple years ago when I needed tires, they will and do haggle down the price. I told them what I wanted to pay for my tires after a lot of research and they said ok.

16. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

discount tire beat out tire rack on my end.. and they had to special order my tires because the vehicle I have didn't have much to chose from for some reason or another.

Oh and I'm pretty certain you would've still paid taxes on your purchase.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  17. lgb0250

No taxes. They have no locations in NC so no taxes are collected.

18. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

Evans tires are a bunch of thieves.. .at least the were a few years ago. I have never been back.
    Tried to charge over a thousand bucks for a job that was only a few hundred, at best. Might be ok to guys but really tried to take advantage of female.