Chicken Dispute

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by daisy8869, Feb 14, 2013.

1. daisy8869

daisy8869 Well-Known Member

Hi Y'all,

About a year ago my genius neighbor decided to build a chicken coop on the back part of his lot. We live in a subdivision without an HOA so even though the builder's rules state no farm animals, I'm sure that it would be hard to enforce that rule.

We have a basset hound dog that we have an outside line for when she needs to go potty (no fence). For the past couple of weeks the rooster and a couple of the hens keep coming over our yard. Not sure if they get free of the coop or if they are trying "free-range". Either way I do not want them in my yard and my dog is terrified of the rooster.

I have a language barrier issue with my neighbors so I am not sure of the best way to approach the situation. I do not want to put a fence in my yard because my house is the only double lot in the subdivision and I am fearful of making an investment that I will not get back when we sell the house within the next two years.

If I were to write a letter to my neighbors and translate it into Spanish, would I be justified in shooting the chickens if they came in my yard again after giving them fair warning? My dog is that terrified of them...and they have witnessed me chasing the chickens back into their yard and they did nothing...not even a sorry.:banghead::banghead:

Ideas or advice?

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I can't tell you what to do in your situation, but this is a battle we've fought with our neighbor for 12 years except there is no language barrier. DH contacted the JoCo Sherriff's office once upon a time (non-emegency number of course) and was told he could shoot the chickens if they were in our yard. We don't even talk to the neighbor about it anymore, we just thin the numbers as needed. Then the neighbors starts keeping them contained again, for a while. Then it repeats all over again. My advice would be to contact the Sheriff's office yourself and see if that still holds true. Good luck!

3. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

You have the same problem I have. Except for two things. We don't have a language barrier, or a dog. The rooster is just leading the hens away from other roosters so as to stake his claim.

Talk to your neighbors. Explain your situation (use a translator, someone you know and trust to give you the truth) and offer suggestions.

My situation (look for the thread that is titled "anyone know who to call") is different, but yet the chickens are causing havoc in tearing up my yard. Heck, you might be nearby me, unless this is a more prevalent problem we have here in our neck of the woods. Maybe we need to ban together and get a law passed that all animals must be kept under control of their owners, and on their own property, whether fenced or leashed (with exceptions for walking pets etc)

But talk to them first. and if you end up shooting them, invite me over for BBQ.

4. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I don't know about your dog, but mine is a creative little bugger, about once or twice a year has does his Houdini routine.

Are you prepared to handle the situation if your neighbor shoots your dog if he strays on their property?

5. JCoRes

JCoRes Well-Known Member

why shoot the chickens ? Its not their fault.....

Instead, when u poop scoop from doggie outings, put it in their yard .

Maybe they'll get what you mean.

Really though - I second the idea of a translator who can help you work this matter out. OR even compose a letter in Spanish (google can help) and send that to them about the situation.

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

DH shoots them because they destroy OUR property. Do you have any idea how destructive a flock can be? They've scratched the hell out of one of our cars, the tear up the mulch, they **** all over the place, they eat every speck of grass seed we've ever tried to grow. Not to mention the annoying as hell NOISE they make. All.the.time. We've asked nicely over and over and over and over. In one ear and out the other. The only solution left open to us is killing them. I hate it, but there it is.

7. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

I have to disagree that that is the only solution...you could use a live trap and cart them to animal control. Wake County and Harnett County often have chickens in their portfolio of animals. Not sure about Johnston. If you really don't want to kill them...

8. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'm as much an animal lover as anyone else, but JoCo gave us the option of killing them. That's it. I am sick to death of having my property torn up by someone else's chickens. I'm over it. 12 years and I am.so.over.it. What do you propose to do with a bunch of wild chickens I trap? Seriously? :lol:

How about I bring them over to your yard and you can keep them? 8)

9. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

Really? Most folks who work for a living don't have time to be "carting" someone else's animals over to Smithfield everyday (during business hours). I would shoot one and put it in their yard as a "clue". After that, tough. If THEY cared anything about their own property, they would keep it ON their own property. They are lucky they are not being hauled to court after the damage caused.

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

You gonna pluck 'em?? :jester:

11. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Call the "Call of the Wild Man" from TV.:jester:

12. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

Just pointing out that killing isn't the only solution. I didn't say it was an easy solution, or the right solution, I would just personally hate to kill them so wanted to point out an alternative. And no, I'd rather you kill them than bring them over here, thanks but no thanks.

13. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Let your dog get to the hens, then you'll have pooched eggs.

14. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Rim shot!

15. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'll tell DH to holler next time he gets one. :jester: He normally just lets the foxes or coyotes take care of it. :cheers:

16. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Kill them and invite them over for a chicken dinner. :jester:

17. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

:lol::lol:

18. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

Wanna borrow my dog for a day or two?

She is not afraid of chickens. :twisted:

And it would give her some exercise :lol:

19. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Simple Whole Roasted Chicken

Original recipe makes 6 servings

2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon white sugar

1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

1/8 teaspoon ground allspice

1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 (4 pound) whole chicken

5 cloves garlic, crushed

In a bowl, mix the salt, sugar, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Rub the chicken with the mixture. Cover chicken, and place in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
    Preheat oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C).
    Stuff the chicken cavity with the garlic. Place the chicken, breast side down, on a rack in a roasting pan.
    Roast 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce heat to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C), and continue roasting 15 minutes. Baste chicken with pan drippings, reduce heat to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C), and continue roasting 30 minutes, to an internal temperature of 180 degrees F (85 degrees C). Let stand 20 minutes before serving.

20. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

LMAO!!!!!! :lol::lol: