more Johnston County teens - so sad

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Tardevil, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

My oldest was the same way, so we waited until he was ready. He was almost 17 and if you ask anyone in my neighborhood who gets behind him, they will still say he drives like grandma (meaning he goes the speed limit, takes his time pulling out, etc) and that is fine by me. His biggest issue is people trying to make him drive like they want to when they get stuck behind him! My youngest couldn't wait to drive and saw two classmates wreck in the course of one week (he was not far behind leaving from school) and he knows what can happen if he is careless (or if they are!), so he is a careful driver. Each kid is different. No need to rush it. Our insurance is crazy high with two inexperienced drivers, but it is better than if we had pushed our older child before he was ready. That driver is a hazard to everyone on the road too. Good luck!!

2. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

On a bit of a side note, there was an accident Saturday morning at the intersection of Glen Laurel and 42 involving a pick up truck and a drivers ed car. I couldnt tell if it was student driven, but by the number of ambulances there I would guess there were multiple people in the car.

Has anyone heard if there were any kids injured?

3. ferrickhead28

ferrickhead28 Well-Known Member

I'm also hearing stories about one high school in particular where some of the students are actually failing driver's ed. Out of a classroom of 25 students, only three were allowed to actually move on to the driving part. Some of those students slept through class....but of course, they are blaming the teacher for not teaching the class well enough.

But of course..blame the teacher...

4. JCoRes

JCoRes Well-Known Member

My daughter is scared ... she just did drivers ed

thru school a few weeks back. She felt she didn't get to drive as much as the other student -- the schools give 6 hours per student of drive time. Thankfully she confided in me about her nervousness. She felt that she didn't drive as much because at the beginning, teacher asked if either has yet driven anytime. The other student had started practicing in parking lots with her parent; mine had never (pulled in the drive way once in her life).
    It was kind of disheartening to see the paperwork from the school stating all the areas she needs a lot of improvement on - more so then not. I know for a first time driver this is to be expected but at the same token guess feeling I had to pay 75.00 for DE, I hoped they'd have worked more on it. Teacher noted she needed to build her confidence and learn the mechanisms of the car better.

Oh well, it is what is is. She hasn't yet taken her test for her permit but has the book to study. IF she wants to try for permit after DE handbook study, then good for her. If not, then good for her as well. End result of it is that she'll be practicing a ton with us so as not to only build her confidence but so that we, the parents, know she has overcome any driving issues/disabilities and can go for it in a safe confident way.

And we'll take as long as it takes ... 16 years old with a license or 16 years old without a license - I just wanna be sure I do have a 16year old that I can watch turn many more ages in life.

5. browneyedgirl

browneyedgirl Well-Known Member

they did that on that road about a year ago,, they still dont slow down, my yard backs up to josephine, sad to say, you hear them flying up it as soon as you hit about my yard, i even said about a week ago that someone is going to get killed on that road, sad to say, it happend,, they need to SLOW DOWN,, the new one foot pavement on each side is not enough,, they still come over in your lane, i cross my fingers half the time on that road knowing you never know what is coming at you,, sorry for the family, i didnt know them, my daughter knows them from school, just a sad story

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

You are correct, Josephine did have the shoulders worked on. I work out of a house on that road and have for almost 3 years. I had an accident my first month here, I got the ticket, but I still maintain had the other car not been speeding like they were on a Nascar track it could have been avoided. I am still paranoid every single time I have to pull out. People need to slow the hell down on Josephine. :?

7. browneyedgirl

browneyedgirl Well-Known Member

this is one of those roads, where i hate to say, this wont be the first accident on it, i look up the hill before i pull out of my subdivision, if i see a car coming, i just wait, because i never know how fast they are going, i have had people pass me all the time on that road with oncoming cars in the other lane, sad when i am going the speed limit,,, i hear the rice rockets, as i call them, the i guess suzuki motorcycles flyyyy up that road, not sure if they are testing them out from the place by polenta elementary or what, but they are going to hit a spot and that will be the end of them,, its sad,, i hope some wake up going on this road, i really do

8. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

There have been several accidents right in front of this place in the time I've been here. I don't know what it's going to take. More deaths I suppose.

9. scbuff

scbuff Well-Known Member

The problem is a lot of parents today don't know how to be real parents. Most of the time you hear these stories, the accident happen really late at night to the early morning. Why in the hell are you letting your kids stay out pass midnight or later. You are just asking for trouble

10. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Yeah, kids never lie about their whereabouts... Or if they are spending the night at a friend's and the parents are out of town. They don't sneak out either.

Just another perspective. :cool:

12. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

LOL!!!

perfect Cleo!

13. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

yep....

14. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

15. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

they may lie, but boys don't usually have sleep overs.....
    A tight reign is the best way to go. better to err on the side of caution.

16. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

My heart goes out to the family of the boy who was killed. I cannot imagine.....May God be with them....:cry:

That being said, I am completely in agreement with the charges against the others involved on that list. Plus a thorough butt whipping at home. It was definitely poor choices all the way around... I hope they learn from this and that it helps them to make better choices in the future. Maybe make them use their heads for something other than a hat rack.

17. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

I can see the response from parents now......But it couldn't have been my little Johnny's fault it had to be someone else who forced my sweet little angel to take their first sip of beer(malt beverage according to the article).

:nopity:

18. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Craig,

I know for a fact that one of the kids involved was also involved in some arson around Clayton a while back. I used to date the father. He's had problems for a very long time. This is a train wreck.

Sherry

19. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

You dated the father, who had problems for a very long time.....

So.....you know i could....take a shot...... :lol:

20. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Well I'm glad it was you instead of some others who would take advantage of little ole' me. :lol::lol:

Sherry