Rumor Has It....Harris Teeter....

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Webmaster, Feb 20, 2012.

1. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

I find better deals at Food Lion for the majority of my groceries...their produce department wasn't the best, but I have noticed that they are making improvements with that. I do like Lowes for the reason that they carry a wide selection of specialty products...and their double coupons. I usually do better money wise at FL though.

The upper end FL in Virginia are Blooms..but I haven't seen them here.

2. 26.2

26.2 Well-Known Member

Grinder;For 50 points and the lead...

"Where was the first Food Lion in the area and for an extra 25 points, what was it called before it was Food Lion?

No googling!"

There was a Food Town on Kildaire Farm Rd. in Cary when I was a kid. It became a Food Lion---seems like about 1979.

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

The grocery store downtown Clayton recently sold out to Compare Foods. I've not been in there yet. I was only in that one once.

4. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

The FL at Riverwood was supposed to be a Blooms.

I looked at a Stop and Shop flyer and coupon policy online, their ads resemble Kroger (10 for 10$), and their coupon policy doubles up to 99 cents, four for identical items, 16 total (example - 4 boxes cheerios, 4 cans of green beans, 4 bottles of soda = 16 coupons). The rest are face value. Also, if the doubling exceeds the price of the item you just get it for free - no moneymakers.

http://www.allyou.com/coupons-deals/stop-and-shop-coupon-00411000074010/

5. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

I've always heard that Ralph Ketner , founder of the chain, had to change the name from "Food Town" to "Food Lion" because the Spence Brothers in Clayton had the name first.

Don't know if there's any truth to it or not, but the original name WAS "Food Town". 8)

6. pcroom

pcroom Well-Known Member

I miss Food Town in Clayton. They had the nicest chickens. Have not found any to compare! We buy our staples from Wal Mart and the rest from Food Lion. We go to Carlie C's for pork chops and beef shoulder roast. Pat

7. ImTheNormal0ne

ImTheNormal0ne Well-Known Member

it has been cleaned up ALOT and is nice fora quick stop and shop caters alot to hispanics but the meats are decent but not the greatest. but for the elderly or people in town without cars and such it is nice.

8. ImTheNormal0ne

ImTheNormal0ne Well-Known Member

I have always liked the IGA in Smithfield for my meats they look alot better. I have never really like Clayton Food Towns meats.

9. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Food Lion was founded in 1957 in Salisbury, North Carolina as Food Town by Wilson Smith, Ralph Ketner, and Brown Ketner. The Food Lion name was adopted in 1983,[6] several years after Belgium-based grocer Delhaize acquired the Food Town company.[7] The name change, while puzzling for American customers, made economic and historic sense for Delhaize. Once known as "Delhaize Le Lion," the Belgian company was able to re-brand its new American subsidiary by changing just two letters on the "Food Town" signage.

10. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

This may be the reason the name "Food LION" was picked, but does not address to underlying cause of the name change.

From North Carolina History Project -

"the company started stores in states where other grocery stores and chains named Food Town had been established and were still in operation. To avoid legal battles, the Salisbury-based company changed its name to Food Lion in 1983."

11. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

12. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

I remember Food Town before it became Food Lion. I also once read they changed to Lion because they would only need to replace two letters.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  13. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I think Harris Teeter has a better variety of food stuffs than Kroger. I also like Harris Teeter's double coupon policy better than Kroger's. I really wish Publix had bought Harris Teeter.

14. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I would kill to have a Publix in Clayton.... IMHO, Harris Teeter has better quality products than Kroger, aside from the usual pantry items, meats, deli, cheeses, etc....

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  15. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

You mean the fact that Kroger doesn't double at all any more?!

16. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

And also move one letter.

17. Rockyv58

It seems every time I go to Kroger's they only double coupons up to 50 cents and I think they only do 6 of them if I remember correctly. And HT does up to 99 cents normally and it's 20 coupons. HT always runs triple coupons and also super doubles.
    Granted on some things HT is more expensive but they do have more selection of items that I look for.

18. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Well-Known Member

That was it...plus the Delhaize Group's logo was that of a lion. Delhaize group had bought a 1/3 of Food Lion in the mid 70s and agreed to vote with Ralph Ketner on all board matters for 10 years. The name change was due as mentioned before to other "Food Town" stores throughout Southeastern USA suing Ketner. Two letter to replace was better than a whole sign.

19. Rockyv58

20/20

Wasn't it food lion that they did an undercover report on about them repackaging old meat back in the late 80's/early 90's? Repacking the old meat and putting some sort of gas in with it to make the meat look pink again.

20. Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider Well-Known Member

Yea, that was an old "PRIME TIME LIVE" segment ABC did. Here is a good summary of the subsequent lawsuit, that ABC lost.

http://www.aim.org/publications/special_reports/foodlion.html