Apartment suggestions for Raleigh

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by bandmom, Mar 6, 2013.

1. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

My DD will be moving back here after her May graduation from college.
    and of course, she doesn't want to move back home....:mrgreen:

anyone have any recent experience with apts in the Raleigh area?
    looking to stay under $700 for a 1bdrm, good location for getting to area hospitals. She's grad with a Nursing degree, so hopefully she'll have a decent paying job :) I've tried to convince her to live at home a few months and save some $$$, before moving out, but she thinks she can make it on her own...

I've tried looking on craigslist, but most of the ones I've seen so far have bad reviews when you google them.

TIA!!!

2. pcroom

pcroom Well-Known Member

I think you will be hard pressed to find a decent apartment in Raleigh for $700 a month. Why Raleigh? Why not find an apartment here until she lands a job? Why not apply at hospitals here and doctor offices? No doubt, she will find a job. I read there is a nursing shortage across the state. Good Luck! Pat

3. englishbullymom

englishbullymom Well-Known Member

Yep, I just spent time apartment shopping with my cousin who moved here for her masters degree at NCSU. She is engaged and not looking for the student apartment housing near campus. For a one bedroom in a nice area of Raleigh, you're looking at a minimum of $750/mo and the most that usually included was trash/recycling. Add cable, utilities, washer/dryer rent as extra. In this range, you're looking at some of the "older" complexes...think smaller floor plan, popcorn ceilings, white appliances, etc. but they are still nice and clean. She ended up renting in north raleigh in the Six Forks/Strickland Rd. area. But that was the norm from Cary thru Raleigh.

4. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Regardless of the price of apts, go by the office and ask how many Summary Ejectments (eviction notices) they issue (on an average) each month to their tenants who can't pay their rent on time.

If it's a lot based on the size of the complex, then I'd stay away.

A lot of Summary Ejectments indicates that mgmnt just wants a warm body in the unit and will put up with a lot of riff raff in order to collect late fees, etc.

Also, call Raleigh PD and see how many calls (and what type) they get for that complex.

Another indicator is how many tenants have all their shades pulled down and have peep holes cut out of the blinds. Peep holes = problems.

5. bandmom

Thanks for all the replys - all very good suggestions.

PCROOM - she hopes to secure a job by June, she starts applying next month, so we'll see! She wants to be in Raleigh, closer to everything.

Maybe once she gets out there and actually SEES what she has to choose from she'll think twice about being so anxious to be on her own right away.
    She's shared an apt with 3 other people for the last three yrs, and she's just really tired of other people's drama, and wants a place of her own.

Polenta - thanks for that, she wouldn't be opposed to a townhouse or even a small house - but that one may be too far out, but I may give him a call. Wish he had pics.

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Archer Lodge is not far out. I can be in downtown Raleigh in 20 minutes or Knightdale in the same time. It's 15 minutes to the bypass down Smithfield road.

7. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

she's in her 20's y'all... she doesn't want to live out in the country with all us old folks...and I don't blame her.

Bandmom, I have a good friend who lives here:

http://www.perrypointraleigh.com/index.asp

It's a little out of her price range, but man is his (this) place nice. Hardwood floors, and lots of social stuff goes on. I would live here.

8. bandmom

:lol: you got it! - she wants to be close to restaurants, shopping, entertainement and work, lol! She wants to be near North Hills, but those are really pricey!

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Whatever, just stating that Archer lodge is hardly the boonies. She could live out in Riverwood, it's quite popular with young professional people. There are rentals there as well, not sure how much they are.

But nevermind if information on alternatives is not what you were actually seeking.

10. bandmom

Thanks for the tips. I was wondering if there was some way to check online about reported crime in a certain area.
    I've never seen peep holes cut out someone's blinds, so if I see that - now I'll understand why! LOL!

11. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I would love to live in that new North Hills section, and I'm old! And it is expensive. It reminds me when I lived in Hollywood. Everything social (even the grocery store) you can walk to!

12. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Wow! Great information that I will pass along to my daughter.

Sherry

13. bandmom

I know, me too! DH and I joke about selling it all and buying a condo downtown - but, talk about pricey for the space you get - geesh! Also, I think I'd get tired of the sirens and other downtown noises!

14. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

Lol, relax don't get your blood pressure all up in the air,,

15. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Here's a link to Raleigh's crime map. You have to enter an address and radius.

http://maps.raleighnc.gov/iMAPS/

16. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

She should start applying now, getting her name out in the field early can help tremendously. My sister (A teacher) started putting her name out 6 months prior to graduation. She went on interviews and was asked for followups in 3 months (3 months to go till graduation) and secured a job two weeks after graduation. She had 4 schools fighting for her at the time she graduated.

Granted Nurses are probably more needed, I'd still start now.

And tell her to check out homes as well...Renting or even owning her own. Check with Tracy Riba of Carolina Realty. She can work wonders!

17. bandmom

I never said I didn't appreciate your input :)
    I'll tell her about it, but as far as that particular place, he's wanting someone to move in asap, and she won't need something till later this summer, June at the earliest.

18. bandmom

Yep, she plans to start applying right after her spring break next week! Gotta get that last fun-filled, care-free vacay in, lol!

19. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

I was driving up Six Forks the other day. I saw some apartments w/ a sign out front that said 1 BR $630 per month, water and sewer included. I can't remember the name, though. Heading north, they were on the right, I think near Newton Rd.

20. bntrotter

bntrotter Member

Woodcreek Apartments on Nottingham in Cary. Its ok. Not the greatest, nor the newest apartments.

Pool and weight room. Community cable. Water utilities provided. A small handful of laundries. Rent is reasonable for the area. Very close to Crossroads Shopping area, Cary Town Center, and US1/I40.

Definitely has been there for a while. I would avoid the 1 Bedrooms apts at the bottom hill of the property. Very musty and bad bug problems. And its hard to get out during heavy snow.

I should have gotten the 1 BR lofts on the top of the property. They looked a bit more taken care of. And a lot more families located on that part.