Teen Question

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Tardevil, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Tardevil

Tardevil Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, just curious - do you take your teens (ages 15-18) to their pediatrician, or have you transitioned to a family practitioner? Last time I took DS to his pediatrician, I thought he'd die of embarrassment. When has everyone transitioned their kids?

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  2. daisy8869

daisy8869 Well-Known Member

I would definitely think about switching your DS to a family practice doctor. At his age he needs more of the adult care information and advice.

I don't have teenagers but I started seeing a OBGYN at 16. I also remember my peditrician stopped seeing patients at 16. I know for girls it is recommended to have their first female exam when they become sexually active or age 16.

I also remember going back into the exam room alone once I was about 15-16 for at least half of the appointment if not all of the appointment.

3. JCoRes

JCoRes Well-Known Member

I kinda wondered that myself....

I took my 15yo daughter to her pediatrician just the other week. I wasn't sure if I should move her to my family doc or what. Figured if she'd say something about it then I'd move her but she didn't.

Thankfully it's not often that she goes or it may have been that she saw other teens in there. Either way, if it would've "bothered" her she definately would've told me so.

4. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

My 17yo DS still goes to our pediatrician, he loves her and doesnt want to go anywhere else, I figure I'll switch him when they tell me to, but we've been with them for 12 years, so she knows his history with everything

5. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Family practitioner. They will feel more grown up and the doc deals with more mature items better.

Sherry

6. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

Both, the family practitioner for routine stuff and the pediatrician for "sick" appts. They get us in the same day, often within an hour of calling. I am not giving that up until I have to, and my kid has a full beard...lol.

7. Tardevil

My DS thinks his peach fuzz is pretty manly! Thank you, everyone, for your opinions. He is sick today with stomach nastiness and I just envisioned him at the pediatrician surrounded by toddlers playing with the train set and it made me sad for him. Thanks again everyone!

8. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

Peach fuzz :mrgreen: Hope he feels better soon. Most of the folks I know had the stomach stuff for 2-4 days and then it was gone. My son looks like he would love to fall into a hole in the Earth when we are waiting to be seen...too funny! I just sit and laugh at him...poor guy. His fuzz is more like a Yeti. :jester:

9. Tardevil

Bwahahaha, there is one long mustache hair that he is particularly proud of!

10. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

Haha! I love raising boys. These teen years have been a hoot.

11. tatertot36

tatertot36 Well-Known Member

I switched my boys to the family doctor when my oldest was about 10. Main reason was that our peds was female and I thought he would be more comfortable discussing man stuff with a male. I wanted him to have already developed a relationship with the new doc before it was time to "turn your head and cough" :lol: Anyway, it has been a good solution and change for our family. In the end, you need to do what he would feel most comfortable with.

Karen

12. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

I hope he feels better, it seems to last about 2/3 days, I had 2 down with it. My DS is 6'4" and he happily sits among the toddlers, LOL

13. ImTheNormal0ne

ImTheNormal0ne Well-Known Member

my 18 year old still goes to pediatrician. I asked if he wanted to change but he loves his dr. we mentioned it today and the dr told us no i have been his dr since he was born and he can come til he is 22 just wait LOL. My son says no problem dont want a new one anyway!

14. Tardevil

Love all the feedback, thank you! DS appears to be "on the mend", although 100% is a looong way off.

15. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

Glad he is feeling better!! My 16 year old has been up since 1 am throwing up! I hope he at least can get over the 30 min upchucks...poor guy!!

16. Tardevil

had more surprises last night, not over yet....Good luck and best wishes to you, your DS, and anyone else he comes in contact with - from what I understand, this virus is aggressive!

17. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

Oh no! Sorry and thank you for the well wishes. It has been bad! He is sleeping now, thank goodness. Has had nothing but a little gatorade and about 1/2 cup of chicken broth all day. Hopefully, the worst is over. Hope your son gets better too. And, I hope you or I don't get it!! My hands are raw from washing them so much today! And Lysol is my friend!! On a brighter note, we spent a great night with our older son...he was too afraid to go upstairs to the bonus room!:mrgreen: I don't blame him!!:ack:

18. Tardevil

Sounds like we are living parallel lives, although with all that scrubbing and laundering, now I have it....very weak - stay well, open the windows!!!!

19. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

I hope you feel better soon!! That is no fun at all. :?