Soda Bread

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Navycut, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Navycut

Navycut Well-Known Member

Anyone know where to get Soda Bread to compliment the traditional corned beef and cabbage dinner?

2. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

I use this recipe every year from allrecipes.com.

Irish Soda Bread in a Skillet

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Prep Time: [/FONT]10 Minutes
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cook Time: [/FONT]15 Minutes
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ready In: [/FONT]25 Minutes
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Servings: [/FONT]8

"A basic version of Irish Soda Bread that is baked in a cast iron skillet. Try substituting the liquid with buttermilk or 2)1/2c cream plus 1/2c sour cream left to sit overnight. Try adding a tablespoon or so of sugar if you like your soda bread slightly sweet. Experiment until you get the flavor you remember."
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ingredients:[/FONT]
    1 cup milk
    1 teaspoon vinegar
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Directions:[/FONT]
    1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). In a cup or small bowl, stir together the milk and vinegar. Let stand 10 minutes, or until curdled. 2. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, salt and baking soda. Stir in the curdled milk mixture until smooth. Scrape the dough out of the bowl onto a floured surface, and shape into a disc. Place the disc into a cast iron skillet. 3. Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the crust feels firm to the touch.

3. Navycut

Navycut Well-Known Member

THANKS !!!

4. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

That's the same recipe I use :)

5. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Check with Clayton Bakery and Cafe, I am pretty sure they posted on their facebook page that they were going to be making some this week.

6. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

Just saw this recipe on WRAL:

http://www.wral.com/recipe-easy-irish-soda-bread/12214966/

I notice that this recipe doesn't have vinegar in it like the one OBX posted. Several years ago, I had some rolls that had a vinegar taste to them. Maybe I will try OBX's recipe and see if tastes like them.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  7. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

I don't notice the vinegar taste. In lieu of using buttermilk (which I never buy, nor use), adding a teaspoon of vinegar to milk will create the same effect as using the buttermilk.

Also, many of the Irish soda breads have dried fruit and nuts in them, and those are really good, but it isn't the traditional Irish soda bread.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  8. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

Saw some at Lowes Foods last night in the bakery area.

9. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Saw it there, as well.

It is surprisingly easy to make ... and tasty!