Sugar

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Palisade, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Palisade

Palisade Well-Known Member

I have been noticing, over the past year or so, that when I scoop out a measuring cup of granulated sugar and empty it into a bowl, there appears to be a thin film of white dust left on the measuring cup. I don't remember this being the case until, as I said, the last year or so. It used to be that I could scoop out a cup of sugar then just hang the cup back up on the rack. Now I need to wipe the dust off the cup before I hang it back up.

Any idea what's up with that? Am I the only one to notice it?

2. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

I use a restaurant style sugar dispenser, and about a year ago it started clogging constantly. I've noticed the moisture content in sugar has increased. That could be why it's also sticking to your cup?

There's no USDA control on sugar, just a CID they publish to be used between manufacture and purchaser. I have a digital moisture meter and just for fun I've been checking the different brands I've been buying.

Table sugar (Type 1 Style A) typically has a grain size about .5mm. The standards for moisture says no more than .05%. I haven't found a bag yet that hasn't exceeded that moisture number. What I've found is you're getting ripped for about 3 cents worth of sugar in every bag.

Do the math. Provide less sugar per mass at approx. $0.03 per bag times millions of bags per week. How much extra money are you making?

3. tukasiya

tukasiya Well-Known Member

Sugargate! Let's have another Congressional investigation. So, you are ingesting less sugar. Can that be a bad thing?

4. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

"Sugargate!" That's funny!!:lol::lol:

But I have a question: Can't people be curious without a stigma attached to their curiosity? Or does all curiosity have to have an ulterior motive?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  5. Palisade

Palisade Well-Known Member

Ingesting less sugar isn't a bad thing per se.

However, when I buy four pounds of sugar, I want four pound of sugar.

6. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Without my caffeine, nicotine, and "sugar", I'm a hollow man!:lol:

7. Debyan

Debyan Well-Known Member

8. tukasiya

tukasiya Well-Known Member

I know! It must be a conspiracy perpetrated by Michelle Obama and Michael Bloomberg. Isn't bi-partisanship just grand?

Just funnin' you. Where would we be without curiosity? Still in the trees, I guess.

9. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

Dag... that's a lot more than I ever really needed to know about sugar. :lol: