Mall coming?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Richardstech, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Richardstech

Richardstech Member

I heard a while back that there was plans to build a mall across from Walmart on 42. The developers died, and left plans for the son to build. What ever happened? Does anyone know of any major development happening here?

2. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I did not know the developer died. If I remember wasn't going to be a bit like Cary Crossroads and North Hills? Shopping\hotel and condos or something like that?

3. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

There is a big chunk of property owned by Son Lan Development. Sonny passed in a car wreck a little while back. Lanny is still building houses. I don't know how much Sonny's family is into the business.

4. Rockyv58

Oh was it Sonny that owned that property across from Wal mart. I thought it was someone totally different. I had heard the person who donated the land where the elementary school on Cleveland school Road owned it.

5. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Son-Lan still owns all the land behind Golden Corral, from I-40 to the creek down 42 below Wal-Mart heating to Corwallis. That creek runs the perimeter of the property all the way towards I-40. There are 600 some odd acres back there. There is some movement on the property back there currently under way.

6. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

A few months back we were at a county meeting and I thought it was a group that owned the land and Sonlan was the developer. Originally, there was going to be stores, homes, restaurants, like Crossroads. Now all we are hearing is high density homes. Maybe a few businesses - nail, Chinese, strip mall kind of things we already have. We weren't impressed just dread all the extra traffic from the apts. and town homes.

7. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

I agree,certainly can't see the sense in that!

8. Rockyv58

I was always under the assumption that there was more money to be made in selling land for businesses than selling land for residential.

9. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Maybe they did a business plan and realized that the internet was doing to malls what it was doing to record stores and newspapers.

10. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Is this supposed to be near the new Six Flags? :lol::lol:

Sherry

11. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Just what we need - another cookie cutter strip mall and high density housing. :banghead:

12. AnnetteL

Who are the idiots that make decisions like that?

13. Rockyv58

our elected officials. those idiots

14. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

The developers make the decision. The elected officials approve it.

15. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

Why not something useful? Like a Go Kart track amusement area! It's no Six Flags, but hey, it beats driving to Raleigh!

If I ever hit the lottery, that's one of the first things (other than paying off debt) I'm doing.

16. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

At one point Crosland Developers were involved. They are out of Charlotte and got into a bit of trouble during the downturn. The property is likely in limbo.

17. Grinder

Not any more it's not.

18. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

SonLan can't even fill up or finish the developments they have now. The Golden Corral area has all kinds of pavement and drainage issues. Not to mention vacant storefronts.

19. Grinder

Its not Son-Lan thats doing it.

20. AnnetteL

Do tell :allears: