Do You Use CFL Bulbs? Here's Where You Shouldn't

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Webmaster, Oct 7, 2009.

1. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

This is true, however, you get approximately the same amount of light from a 13 watt CFL as an incandescent 60 watt lamp. That amounts to only 44 BTU/hr for the same amount of light. I don't think heat is an issue.

2. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

3. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

4. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Considering Tesla had the idea back in 1905 I can say I do not think any time soon. Sorry I would of liked it also

5. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Compare the UL test for standard florescent verses CFL's. And then tell me heat isn't a factor.

The best route is LED's. But not the cheap ones you see in lowes and walmart. I prototyped a 20W LED night light with proximity and timer. If you plug one into every visible outlet in your home you actually don't need to turn any lights on. Combine those with a UPS (uninterrupted power supply) that cycles the 120v on and off for all the electronic standby power eaters in your house and you'll save more energy than with those stupid CFL's.

The average household wastes $40 per year in energy just on their wireless router. Add all the other electronics that run while your not using them and you'll have hundreds of dollars per year in waste. CFL's aren't the greater part to the answer, power management is.

6. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

I agree that LED is a better option. I have several of them and they do really well. Just waiting for them to become a little more affordable before switching everything over.