need a roof

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by peppercorns, Mar 21, 2013.

1. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

We need a new roof on the house but so far all the estimates we have been given are about 2K more then we expected.
    Does anyone have any recommendations?
    We need about 44 bundles and maybe a roof over the deck to make it a porch.

THank you!

2. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

There's a guy on Craigs List posting $150 per square. That's pretty cheap, so I can imagine it's for the cheapest shingle made. A square is 3 bundles, in case you didn't know.

3. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Some shingles are 4 bundles to the square. Square= 100 sq. ft

4. pcgeek

pcgeek Active Member

I know a guy that does a great job. His business name is Residential Specialities and his number is 919-427-0985.

5. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

6. Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider Well-Known Member

Check out the prices on a metal roof, whatever color you want. As long as you don't go through Advanced Metal Roofing systems, the price is pretty comparable and lasts much longer (Most have 50 yr plus warranties)

7. peppercorns

THanks Webbie~ Of corse I checked 4042 first!!!
    lol I have called quite a few....but I guess I am just looking for a bargin. I didn't realize threy were so expensive. I expected the price to be cheaper.
    Disability doesn't pay that well...lol Stupid roof. grrrrr

8. peppercorns

I have heard that the metal roofas leak after a whle...how do they seal the seams? are they crimped or what/...lol

9. Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider Well-Known Member

Today's metal roofs rarely leak. They are sealed by the seam design. The important thing to look out is the gauge of metal used. Old metal roofs you see on barns and old farm houses are generally 36 or greater. Modern metal roofs on homes with 50+ warranties are usually between 24-29 gauge.

With metal roofs, the lower the gauge, the thicker the metal roof. Plus if your shingles aren't more than 2 level deep, the metal roof can usually be put over the shingles, resulting in more insulation.

10. pcroom

pcroom Well-Known Member

Give my neice's husband a call. His name is Jeff Patterson and he's been doing roofs all of his adult life. A fine christian man just trying to feed his family. He is a hard worker and does an excellent job. His number is 919-697-1145 or call his wife Karen at 919-427-2306 You will be glad you did. Pat

11. proudmom

proudmom Member

We had several quotes -- OMG -- the quotes were outrageous. Carroll Roofing replaced our roof for 1/2 the costs of the other quotes we received. We are pleased with our new roof. I contacted:

Sue H. Carroll, VP/Corporate Secretary
    Carroll Roofing Company, Inc.
    549 Dynamic Drive
    Garner, North Carolina 27529
    OFFICE 919-779-6623
    FAX 919-779-5521

12. wackybrit

wackybrit Member

Local Contractor

Just wanted to recommend Charles Brown of A Hammer and Nail Construction. Its a small company, and great at what they do. I would be shocked if you found anywhere cheaper.
    919-264-7533
    www.ahammerandnail.com

13. Concerned Person

Concerned Person Well-Known Member

14. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Well-Known Member

If you plan to stay in the house for 20 or more years...I would recommend a metal roof also. It might be twice as much now...but at least in 20 years you're not getting estimates again.

15. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Yeah, but for some homes, they're just not aesthetically pleasing.

16. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Well-Known Member

With all the different colors available now...I don't think there would be many.

17. Palisade

Palisade Well-Known Member

Not just the different colors, but the different styles. Some even look like asphalt and ceramic (if you're standing on the ground).